News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Commandant Special Constabulary

Hello everyone. 

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

Some time back I purchased a Defense Medal and George VI Special Constabulary Medal to Commandant Roland Walter Perrott.

My question is: what level of rank is a Commandant in the Special Constabulary? Was it quite senior? Mr Perrott was a Solicitor by profession 

and was Mayor of Neath (which i believe is in Wales) in 1950-51.

Can anyone tell me what the rank of Commandant was equivalent to in the regular police. Also any further information on Roland Walter Perrott would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...
    On 2/23/2016 at 04:56, David Vivian said:

Hello everyone. 

Can anyone tell me what the rank of Commandant was equivalent to in the regular police. Also any further information on Roland Walter Perrott would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I don't think it's got an equivalent rank per say to a regular police officer. I think there more with regards to administration of the Special Constabulary. For example a Commandant wouldn't attend an incident take command and control, if say there was a regular Inspector on scene, or indeed a regular constable for that matter. However they are a big wheel in the Special Constabulary world, if that makes sense? 

9 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

I don't think it's got an equivalent rank per say to a regular police officer. I think there more with regards to administration of the Special Constabulary. For example a Commandant wouldn't attend an incident take command and control, if say there was a regular Inspector on scene, or indeed a regular constable for that matter. However they are a big wheel in the Special Constabulary world, if that makes sense? 

Thanks for your reply. So Commandant wasn't so much a rank but more of a position.

I think that may probably have been the case during the war years especially in small forces. There are recorded instances of the Chief Constable going off to war and the Chairman of the Standing Joint Committee (the Police Authority)/Watch Committee being appointed Acting Chief Constable in his stead. In fact, I can't recall the force in question but I'm certain that in one force the Commandant of the Special Constabulary, acted as Chief Constable during the absence of the Chief.

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say that being Commandant of a small borough's special constabulary pre-WW2 was very much a position in the local social/political scene. As he subequently became mayor it's a pretty good bet he sat on the Watch Committee and was, in effect, the Chief Constable's boss.

Edited by NickLangley

You make a very good point Nick. Mr Perrott must have been someone of standing in the local community. He was a Solicitor as I mentioned in my original post, so he must have moved in the upper reaches of local society. 

It's hard to imagine someone of Mr Perrott's social standing being a "hobby bobby" nowadays. But then you only have to look at old photos (during the General Strike in particular) to realise that the Special Constabulary then was a very different creature from its modern counterpart.

Nick, I think there is basis for someone to do some very interesting research on how the Special Constabulary may have changed over time. It strikes me that such research would have very interesting historical and sociological aspects and possible conclusions.  I wonder if anyone has undertaken such studies?

David,

"The Specials" by Ronald Seth (The Story of the Special Constabulary in England, Wales & Scotland), published by Victor Gollancz Ltd. in 1961 was a very comprehensive review, although out of date in resect of recent history and organisation. Alas, long out of print. However, copies do turn up from time to time.

Dave.