News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Order of Merit- Query

P.F.

Gentlemen,

Would someone be good enough to provide the measurements of the following, issued during the Admiral Horthy period:

Hungarian Order of Merit- Commander Cross
    Hungarian Order of Merit- Grand Officer Cross (the neck order)
    Hungarian Order of Merit- Grand Cross (not the breast star)

Many thanks

Edited by P.F.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Your question is difficult to answer in just one sencence, as the Hungarian Order of Merit (Cross of Merit until 1935) was awarded for the period of over 20 years, from 1922 (practically 1923) to 1944, and its size varied.

Generally, what regards the crosses of the upper classes, they were as follows:

- Grand Cross: 1922-30 - 60 mm, 1930-39 - 62 mm; then with the establishment of the class of GC with the Crown of Hungary in 1939, the so-far 1st class was renamed to Grand Cross, with the badge usually 53 mm, but larger, even up to 57 can be found as well.
    - Cross 1st Class (sash decoration but smaller than that of GC): 1922-30: 51 mm, 1930-39 - 53 mm; after 1939 no longer in use.
    - Grand Officer (called actually Cross 2nd Class with Star and from 1935 Middle Cross w. Star): 1922-30 - 50 mm, then 52-53 mm.
    - Commander (Cross 2nd Class and from 1935 Middle Cross): as above.

A few years ago I published an exhaustive article about the Hungarian Order of Merit at JOMSA (2/2012). I think you will find there all details you need.

Regards,

Lukasz