News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thanks to Paul for posting this for me.  A recent purchase from the '16 S.O.S described by German dealer as Sanitatsoffiziers Ordensschnalle.  The Red Eagle has an N on the lower arm; the Crown Order stamped ZEHN; Prussian Kriegsdenkmunze 1870/71 is non-magnetic (a later private purchase by the veteran from the 1895 era?); steel China Denkmunze.  Does this help?

19 minutes ago, rabaduex said:

... described by German dealer as Sanitatsoffiziers Ordensschnalle ...

That is very unlikely, because it would be the wrong version of the Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71. The vast majority of the Sanitätsoffiziere got the combattant medal (inscription Dem siegreichen Heere), as determinated for them in the statutes. Only the very few stay-at-home ones received the steel medal with Für Pflichttreue im Kriege on the combattant ribbon.

Grasnick, Generalarzt Dr. Paul 2.jpg

Grasnick, Generalarzt Dr. Paul detail 9.jpg

On 26.2.2016 at 01:25, rabaduex said:

Does the wrong medal mounted some fifty years following its issue disqualify the original attribution?  ...

No, but as I said, it makes it very unlikely, especially when there is nothing else qualifiying this bar to a Sanitätsoffizier.

Edited by Komtur

21 hours ago, Komtur said:

Not as it should be, but sometimes to be seen.

Abb. 33a.jpg

Great example of this usual bar construction!  It must have been a tailor's unique practice to do it this way. 

It reminds me of how Rick R. would post period photos of bars with the awards ordered contrary to the Regs.

19 hours ago, Komtur said:

That is very unlikely, because it would be the wrong version of the Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71. The vast majority of the Sanitätsoffiziere got the combattant medal (inscription Dem siegreichen Heere), as determinated for them in the statutes. Only the very few stay-at-home ones received the steel medal with Für Pflichttreue im Kriege on the combattant ribbon.

Grasnick, Generalarzt Dr. Paul 2.jpg

Grasnick, Generalarzt Dr. Paul detail 9.jpg

Great photo and bar!  I can make out the battle bar on the F-P medal as "Gravelotte - St. Privat". 

I can see the other awards clearly, but does anyone have a guess to #8 and #10?

28 minutes ago, rabaduex said:

If not as described by the dealer at the S.O.S., what other possibilities are there as to rank and status of the person who wore this medal bar?

Difficult. My first feeling was Navy, because of dark blue or black backing and fitting Kriegsdenkmünze 1870/71. In WW1 because of age out of service and Verdienstkreuz für Kriegshilfe for any kind of civil assistance. We are missing Rick :(. May be Daniel can help.

As Mr.T said - it`s definitely not a bar of an medic.

May be a higher marine rank.

I know were it came from. If there would hang an IC non combatant i had bought it.

The version of the black wool looks like that the bar was made by Küst or Wilm.

It was made in 1917 or later.

Edited by ixhs