News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schickle and other wartime catalogues.

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

Since Schickle used photographs (though the simplified "two tone" or whatever leaves the impression of artwork), EXACT matches can be made for even unmarked products like their 1936-39 tank badge, and one distinctive type of Wehrmacht long service eagle and 1939 EK Spangen:

[attachmentid=31630][attachmentid=31631][attachmentid=31632]

Steinhauer & L?ck's old fashioned engravings are actually no less precise: they can be used to EXACTLY match up a variety of restrike WW1 awards, including the Turkish War Medal star (distinct pattern) and the 1918 Uboat badge. The ORIGINAL January 1939 catalogues came out in a big (and cheap :P pile in 1969, when somebody at the company must have cleaned out their cellar. I have never seen a recent reprint to compare the two. The pscan below is from an original catalogue.)

[attachmentid=31628][attachmentid=31629]

It is interesting to note the change between the January 1939 and 1940 S&L Wehrmacht long service awards-- all four classes in the I/39 are shown with a bizarre "bathtub plu" type suspension attaching the rings to the awards--which I have never seen "live." Those are gone in the 1940 catalague.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Thank you Gordon for starting this very nice thread.

I do wisch to forward the readers of this towards the following link: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=4883&hl=S+&+L

There the readers cans ee a original sample board from the company of S & L. in regards towards civil glider badges. Note the Logo, etc ...

Cordial greetings,

• 1 month later...
    Guest Darrell

Very interesting Gordon. I have a Fire Brigade Medal with the more rare ring attachment device. Most are the more common "ball" type. Maybe this illustration puts the maker as Schickle? :jumping:

• 1 month later...
    • 9 months later...

Hi Gordon,

I'm still not clear about a couple of things in this thread. The St & L catalogue from 1940 (or at least an excerpt of it) is said to contain an article, giving reference to the LDO-number L/16 and that they were considered re-strikes. The same article is referred to the 1941 catalogue (in the maker markings thread). Is it correct that both these catalogues featured it and if so, wouldn't that be strange, considering the introduction of LDO-numbers weren't introduced before spring 1941?

My 2nd inquiry is about the 1938/40 Schickle catalogue. The pages 27-45 in this thread are related to the 1938 issue, while pages 47-58 are said to be in the 1940 section. Can you please confirm whether this is correct or not.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but in order to establish an opinion of my own, I need the get the facts straight :)

KR

Peter

Edited by Peter J

Hi Peter,

The problem with the S&L pages is that they are loose. There are two distinct type faces, some in Fraktur (which I believe is 1940) and some in Lateinschrift which I believe is probably 1941. None of the pages show awards introduced later than 1940/41. The page with the LDO number info which refers to copies ( Nachbildungen) is the later, Lateinschrift, so probably 1941.

You are correct in your assumptions re the Schickle catalogue. Pages from 45 are in the 1940 section. Those with a black backing are loose supplementary pages not bound into the catalogue so must be at least 1940 but before the prohibition on sales of the Knight's Cross in 1941.

Thanks Gordon,

The reason for my confusion was image #45, which initially was said to be found in the 1938 edition. This minor mistake is understandable, considering the multitude of images you kindly offered us here on the forum. Is it possible that there is also a mix-up in reference regarding some of the other images in the Schickle catalogue, giving the fact that there is no consistancy in where the page numbers are positioned?

KR

Peter

Hi Peter,

Well spotted ! The pages are all in perfect order according to their numbering. The numbers appear either top left or top right of each page as they should. The reason you are confused is because of the way the images have been rotated. If a vertical "portrait" page is rotated the wrong way it will be obvious if it is upside down, but with a horizontal "landscape" page is rotated it merely faces left instead of right. No problem - unless you are looking at the position of the page numbers.

However, the title page for the 1940 section has no number and I have inserted the image in the wrong order. It should be after all the accessories/ lapel badges etc and before the stickpin miniatures so it should be the page before 45 , not after it. .

• 2 years later...

Does a copy of the Paul Meybauer catalog exist?

Never seen one but I wouldn't be surprised if they existed given how long Meybauer were around. I'd be fairly confident that they probably produced some sort of catalogue during the 20s/30s if not during the TR period.

• 1 month later...

QUOTE (dond @ Jul 17 2009, 23:21 ) Does a copy of the Paul Meybauer catalog exist?

Never seen one but I wouldn't be surprised if they existed given how long Meybauer were around. I'd be fairly confident that they probably produced some sort of catalogue during the 20s/30s if not during the TR period.

Very interesting Gordon

Does a copy of the J.F.S. catalog exist?thanks