News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ottoman War Medal

Volovonok

Gentlemen, 

I am kindly requesting opinions on this Gallipoli Star.  It is well-known fact this award was produced by numerous makers and, therefore, its variations are rife. There are also some number of fakes on the market out there and I would like to verify authenticity of this one. Would you be able to provide your thoughts on this piece?  

It seems to be fine to me: quality enamel, nice patina, non-magnetic (quite likely to be silver), 55 mm, 16.7 g but side opinions are very welcome.

Ottoman-War-Medal-5.thumb.JPG.817bc30cebOttoman-War-Medal-6.thumb.JPG.2a9e48cee4

22 minutes ago, paul wood said:

It may be the quality of the photo but I do not like the colour of the patination on the reverse, looks artificial but it may be just the photo.

Paul

I will try to make some extra photos tonight. Patina does not raise any of my concerns and seem quite natural. I say so because I have some experience in applying patinating ointments to the silver.

I have seen such a great variaty of Gallipoli Stars with various types of tugra, pins, catches, hinges, riverts and even rings by now that I really don't know what I should be able to notice  looking at the needle system and tugra as there is no such thing as the "correct" types of a needle or tugra

Are these medals systematized anywhere so that a collector can rely on the description of the correct types of them?

I posted this medal on a few militaria forums and in each forum were people with pro and contra opinions. The problem is that those who believe the star is a fake provide little or no arguments in support of their opinion. 

20160302_085845_1.jpg
    20160302_085828_1.jpg
    20160302_085856_1.jpg
    20160302_085947_1.jpg
    20160302_085929_1.jpg
    20160302_085913_1.jpg

Demir, A member of this forum has published a book on the Turkish War medal and has good illustrations of all the varieties that he has been able to find, might be worth investing in the book.

Paul

The TURKISH WAR MEDAL - HARP MADALYASI - GALLIPOLI MEDAL - EISERNER HALBMOND

Author: M. Demir ERMAN

Printed: Ankara/Turkey, February 2012
    correspondence address: dmrbay@gmail.com

ENGLISH and TURKISH

In English (65 pages) and Turkish (61 pages). There is a 46 pages annex including color pictures, certificates and documents. The medal in the cover is relief. Total 172 pages, app. 350 gr.

CONTENTS
    Preface and Acknowledgements 6
    Very Brief History of the Ottoman Empire 9
    World War I 12
    Gallipoli War 13
    Palestine, Caucasus and Galicia Battles 16
    Independence War and the Republic 17
    War Medals of the Ottoman Empire 18
    The Regulation of the War Medal dated 1915 21
    Amendments on the War Medal Regulation 24
    The Effective Dates of the War Medal Regulation
    and Amendments 31
    Ministry of War and Army Orders About the War Medal 34
    Law of the Turkish Grand National Assembly and the
    Decree of the Council of Ministers 36
    The First Type of the War Medal Which was Designed
    According to the Regulation but Never Produced Due to a
    Shape and Metal Change 39
    The War Medal 41
    The War Medal and the German Iron Cross 44
    The Certificate of the War Medal 46
    The War Medal Ribbon 49
    The Package of the War Medal 53
    War Medal Miniatures, Ribbon Bars And Pins 55
    War Medals of the German and Austrian Make 56
    No Name Medals 58
    Views on the War Medal 59
    SOURCES 62
    ANNEX 66

• 3 years later...

Somewhat late, admittedly, but I agree with ixhs' and paul wood's concerns: This seems to be one more of the countless fakes that are floating the collector market for more than ten years now. The overall quality isn't suitable for a German or Austrian private purchase type in enamel and possibly real silver, as isn't the enamel itself. Also, the patina is artifically applied - it's well done, as you pointed out, but still it's not naturally grown.

• 5 months later...
    On 11/08/2019 at 21:26, saschaw said:

Somewhat late, admittedly, but I agree with ixhs' and paul wood's concerns: This seems to be one more of the countless fakes that are floating the collector market for more than ten years now. The overall quality isn't suitable for a German or Austrian private purchase type in enamel and possibly real silver, as isn't the enamel itself. Also, the patina is artifically applied - it's well done, as you pointed out, but still it's not naturally grown.

I agree with you.

Regards

Demir

• 5 weeks later...