News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Why do medals sell for such silly money, just because they have a H Division connection? I could see if they were to men who served and are documented to have been involved in the Ripper case, but these two examples have no connection whatsoever other than being in H Division. I have a couple of medals to J Division both of whom served in Bethnal Green at the time of "Jack" and I didn't pay a quarter for them that these two have sold for. 

Would be interesting to know how much City of London Police medals sell for?

It should also be considered that any medals to any Division during this period have a possibility to have been seconded to H Division, would be interesting to know of any confirmed examples of this and how much they sold for? 

Apologies to you, if you have bought these medals, it's in no way meant to be disrespectful to you. But I would be interested to learn your rational. 

H Division medals.png

medals 101.png

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Has the world gone mad?  Answer: Yes......next question?

Seriously, I think people want something that was from a police officer who was "there" but not necessarily on the case of Jack the Ripper.  As a personal example, I have a Region of Peel Police forage cap (Ontario, Canada) that was issued and worn during the time of the Paul Burnardo investigation.  He is a notorious killer and I won't go into detail here.  I knew some of the officers who were on that case so in a way the cap is a reminder of them and not the killer.  I'm sure many of the Met police medals in my collection were to officers who knew of the case of JAck the Ripper at the time but then unless we are actually talking about this subject I don't view the medals or their recipients as associated with that case. 

As the "value" of my collection goes up there is still no urge to part with them...so yes the world, and I perhaps, have gone mad.

Regards

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
    On 3/1/2016 at 19:05, Brian Wolfe said:

Has the world gone mad?  Answer: Yes......next question?

Seriously, I think people want something that was from a police officer who was "there" but not necessarily on the case of Jack the Ripper. 

Regards

Brian

I agree and can see the appeal. Interestingly the £415.55 group, relates to an officer although he was in H Division for the Golden Jubilee had moved to another Division (W Division), 12 months before the Whitechapel Murders started. I suppose it could be argued that he had worked the patch and perhaps went back briefly as a reinforcement. But we'll never know for certain. Also as he joined up prior to 1889, then he won't have any service papers, so research of him will be somewhat limited.  If I can put this into context, I have recently added a J Division group to my collection and have been able to ascertain that he was working from Bethnal Green station during the Whitechapel murders and I didn't splash out a quarter of what the buyer of the H Division medals did. In fact I've actually got two medal group to J Division, with a "Ripper connection" if you like and two H Division groups for just slightly afterwards and even combined, don't come to what the above buyers paid.