News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A badge of an Inner Mongolian Prince with the rank of Hereditary Banner Lord, circa 1912/13

Bob

This is something very rare and special and I am not even 100% sure of what it exactly is. I branched out of my Mongolia collecting focus when acquiring this. Acquired it at auction and previously it was up for auction in 2008 - "World Orders - Collection Tammann", UBS Basel, November 2008, lot 318.

It is bronze with remnants of gilding, beautifully enameled, inscription in Mongolian and in Han characters "Meng Gu Wang Gong Lian He Hui" (Union of Mongolian Princes and Dukes), with ribbon and clasp for wear.

The historical background is not entirely clear and rather complicated but let me make a try.

After the end of Chinese imperial rule in 1911, and with the support of Russia, Outer Mongolia (i.e. current day Mongolia, as opposed to Inner Mongolia which is an autonomous region within China) declared itself independent as southern provinces (Tibet, among others) also separated from China.

Yuan Shikai, former prime minister under emperor Puyi and leader of the Beijing army, assumed the presidency of China from Sun Yat-sen (first Provisional President of the Republic of China) and attempted to draw the powerful nobles of the outer provinces to his side to try to restore a monarchy to China (with himself as the Emperor).

In the Favourable Treatment Act of 1912 he guaranteed the child emperor Puyi (although now abdicated, he still retained his title) and all nobles the continuance of their rights and privileges. This badge is for one of those noblemen.

In 1915 the Treaty of Kyakhta was signed between China, Russia and Outer Mongolia, whereby Inner Mongolia would become again a part of China and Outer Mongolia would become autonomous, but accepted as under Chinese supremacy.

IMG_1426.JPG

IMG_1427.JPG

IMG_1428.JPG

Ah, I was wondering who picked this one up. Congratulations on your acquisition. If the Tammann catalogue is correct these are incredibly rare.

What is the quality of the enamels like. Is it quite a hefty badge? I'm guessing its gilded.

• 2 weeks later...
    On Monday, March 07, 2016 at 04:17, drclaw said:

Ah, I was wondering who picked this one up. Congratulations on your acquisition. If the Tammann catalogue is correct these are incredibly rare.

What is the quality of the enamels like. Is it quite a hefty badge? I'm guessing its gilded.

The enamel is old but appears to be of relatively high quality - e.g. the different colors on the green leaves. It is gilded indeed and from my memory relatively heavy (although thin) - i'm on a business trip now and the item has already been safely stored so can't quickly check.

Thanks to a forum friend who checked with somebody from Inner Mongolia, the translation of the inscription on the medal is confirmed as follows (reading both the Chinese and Old Mongolian writings): "Conference of the Confederation of the Mongolian Noblemen ( Vangs-kings and Gun-Dukes)".

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...