News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

f1.thumb.jpg.e51a054e169324b0a03ea5cda3ef2.jpg.f5387bb96e42ec892362b78a659deffa.f3.thumb.jpg.1a7cc9154249bbf1c14bbb33ea3f4.thumb.jpg.17aa96d819bad8393a35c59f5e9f5.thumb.jpg.ff39c5b88bbf5262dab6f2bdb9cIts a long story.... A few weeks ago an ebay deal went bad and I lost the deal of the year.... but I was able to save the day, admittedly quite a bit more expensive than originally planned...

In the deal was the 1916 dated Beilpicke and the MG spade in the wrong leather holder.... I am really happy to have gotten them in the end....

Yep...that little spade is indeed the MG version.  Every component is smaller than the standard infantry issue shovel.  Fakers will simply cut down an infantry shovel and present it as an MG spade but they're pretty easy to spot.  The MG shovel carrier is also different.  It has a single belt loop and obviously far smaller than the infantry issue.  I can understand why MG troops might want a smaller shovel - having to lug around a huge 08 and all the gear but jeez...those little MG spades seem to be pretty much useless.  Fine for flipping eggs in a skillet but digging in an MG or a foxhole to hide in? 

12 minutes ago, Chip said:

Evidently, there was some practical use for the MG spade, as they wore them from 1901 to about 1915 and perhaps even later.

Chip

Its like when i was in the army, Everyone wanted to have the saw or the hatchet, so much easy to march with... if ever we had come under fire and needed t dig a hole.... we would have cursed not having the big spade! ;-)

32 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The carrier on the mg shovel is incorrect, its for a standard e-tool.

Eric

Indeed it is. However, the Spade and carrier (as is) and the Beilpicke and carrier are a real dinkum out of the woodwork attic find, so i am guessing they have been together for eons.

I have never really actively looked for a MG spade, so this dropping into my lap was a treat. I definately will not be shelling out the loot for a period carrier ;-)

I like everything though, so what if Jerry used a normal carrier. Chip I didn't keep a record of the markings sorry me loose jobs without carriers I sold to Bunker. I think they used them to pretty much level the gun in the field myself, cutting bushes whatever.

Eric

I wonder if the comforts of peacetime were overtaken by the realities of war?

I can really imagine these being a kind of prewar status symbol. Nice small entrenching tool while the other schmucks had a full sized one to carry around... then in 1914 they are REALLY digging in... and the MG guys are cursing the little bitty shovels..... I have not tried to dig with it, buy I have dug with a regular sized entrenchting tool... not nice, but it works... the mg spade, one handed.... forgetaboutit....

5 hours ago, 120RIR said:

Yep...that little spade is indeed the MG version.  Every component is smaller than the standard infantry issue shovel.  Fakers will simply cut down an infantry shovel and present it as an MG spade but they're pretty easy to spot.  The MG shovel carrier is also different.  It has a single belt loop and obviously far smaller than the infantry issue.  I can understand why MG troops might want a smaller shovel - having to lug around a huge 08 and all the gear but jeez...those little MG spades seem to be pretty much useless.  Fine for flipping eggs in a skillet but digging in an MG or a foxhole to hide in? 

I suppose that depends on your motivation, if someone is shelling 7 bales out of you then even a tea spoon would be better than nothing?

2 hours ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

However, all that said.... the itty bitty spade was just a bonus, what I really like is the axe with its carrier :-)))

I have no axe to grind here, in fact I just have no axe at all!

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

P8213791.JPG

Eric,

Is the one on the far right rounded at the corners to fit the carrier and are the rest flat or square if you will like a normal spade?

• 2 weeks later...