News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help to identify medals

Pacman

Hi,

I am researching my wife's family history, and it appears that the Imperial Guard in the attached photo is one of her great grandfather's family. The photo was taken as part of the Imperial Guard with Czar Nicholas in we think about 1915. We can recognize the George Cross on his left breast, but was wondering if anyone may have an idea of any in the group on his right breast. Possibly the St Anne Cross in the centre due to what appears to be crossed swords? I know it is a low resolution image, but if we can identify we may be able to trace his name via recipient lists. I have tried searching via google images to no success so far. He is the only one in the group photo with this cluster.

Thank you.

medal ID.jpg

Edited by TacHel

This is a really hard scan to try to read the medals.  Could you crop and enlarge the area?  It might help.

The left breast is not the St. George Cross.  It looks like Order of St. John of Jerusalem Maltese Cross.

On the right breast; just like Andreas I could see it being the St. Stanislaus Order with swords.  I initially thought St. Anne, but the ribbon is suggests the St. Stanislaus.

Thank you both. Unfortunately this is already highly enlarged from a group photo on the site http://www.history.toumanoff.com

Our family name is Korobka, and this gentleman bears an incredible likeness to my wife's father, who's grandfather and 5 brothers all served as personal czarist guards. We can now at least try to find the missing link as all were killed in the storming of the palace except his son (grandfather) who escaped back to the Ukraine. 

Hello again,

This is a shot, again taken from a large full photo, of the same person from the 4th Imperial Rifle's regiment. Hopefully the emblem on the right breast may be a little clearer?

Thanks

4th rifles.jpg

• 5 months later...