News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

6th Airborne Epaulette Loops

Not sure if I'm sticking this type of info in the right place :wacky: If not, my apologies to the Moderators; please feel free to move

Another little gem hidden away in the darkest corner of my hard-drive; this drawing depicts the different coloured epaulette loops worn by 6th Airborne Div. in 1944. I've re-drawn this, rather than risk breaching copyright by uploading the original ;)

loops.png

You're missing, or the original diagram was missing, the gold loop worn by the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion.

Did the original identify the colours?  There's three blues and two greens.

Cheers,

Dan.

PS: Was there no loop identified for the 12th Devonshires?

Dan, I'm not sure what book the original diagram was featured in; it was sent to me a long time ago, I thought it might be a handy thing to have and so I saved it.

The original did indeed mention the colours; I decided to omit them however as my own drawing was just intended to be a visual guide. Also, the 8th Para Bn "blue", looks decidedly purple to my eyes!. :wacky:

Good call on the Canadian coloured epaulette loop; I'll see to it that the diagram is updated. Incidently, I've just see an original example of the 12th Para Bn loop with 'Yorkshire' embroidered in black, not white as shown on the original diagram.

As for the 12th Devons, I have no idea what colour loop they wore, or if indeed they wore one at all.

Information on these is difficult to come by; I've been trying myself for years to discover the colours worn by the various GPR Squadrons. So far, I can only confirm green used by 'A' Sqn for Normandy, Arnhem and the Rhine Crossing operations. The only other colours I've seen on original uniform have been maroon and yellow. Those three colours account for just three of the seven wartime Squadrons, so it's possible not all were issued with them.

ATB,

Andy.

Looks like edits to posts can only be made in a limited time-frame here?. I was going to change the diagram on my first post but will add the amended version to a new post instead.

Anyway, thanks to Dan for the heads-up on the 1st Canadian Para Bn loop; if anyone knows if the 12th Devons wore these and what colour they used, please chime in and I'll add that one too.

loops.png