News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Saxon Artillery Shoulder Boards

Interesting pattern. They do look nice. When I clicked on the thread, I only saw the tops and thought they were M15 infantry until I scrolled down. The FAR 28 had a regimental cypher from June of 1914, which stayed in place until 1917 when the cyphers of enemy rulers were removed. These are M1907, prior to the adoption of the Nicholas II cypher, so 1907-1914.

Chip

58 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Yes.  Chip said it. ..

Duh, My bad. I read the posts before going to sleep and asked the question while still in a wake up daze.

I am guessing from the fine quality private purchase that these are probably pre war and not 1917-18?

Chris,

Since these were private purchase pieces, they most probably were worn on a "walking out dress" uniform. You wouldn't find this quality in the field for an enlisted man. My guess is that they belonged to someone who served his reservist time in the regiment before the war. By 1917-18 enlisted artillery straps had changed. With the M1915 regulations, they had become red with yellow bomb and unit number. So, no chance these were worn after the cypher was ordered removed.

Chip

Hi

1 hour ago, jaeger7 said:

Hi !

They look very narrow for M07 boards - they should be 5.5 cm.

Could you give us the dimensions of your boards ?

Regards

jaeger-de

Hi,

I am not really a boards guy so I dont have a lot to compare, but my regular ones are 4.5mm, these are indeed quite a bit narrower at 3.8mm, however, the private purchase ones on my Bavarian Arty tunic are also narower than the issue ones, so I guess that must be a factor? The guy must have been pretty small, they are also shorter than issue boards.

Chris,

If your straps were issue ones, the width would mean something, but private purchase straps (as you mention) are all over the place and are often quite a bit narrower than regulation.

Chip