News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sanish medals of the Independance war.

augustin1813

Very nice Augustin, especially as an officer's award, I love the Spanish Peninsular period decorations but alas they are difficult in the main to find and when they do turn up they are often quite expensive. Look forward to seeing more images.

All the best,

Paul

Cross for the defenders of Madrid (december 1808) created by king Ferdinand VII june 10 1817 :

Obverse:

colle-esp-madrid-A.JPG

Reverse:

colle-esp-madrid-R.JPG

Cross for Talavera de la Reina (july 28 1809), created by the Regency on december 8 1810:

Obverse:

colle-esp-talavera-A.JPG

Reverse:

colle-esp-talavera-R.JPG

5 hours ago, augustin1813 said:

Cross for the defenders of Madrid (december 1808) created by king Ferdinand VII june 10 1817 :

What a lovely piece! This area is new to me and I am looking forward to your forthcoming posts. Do you know what the animal trying to climb the tree, and its symbolism, is please?

• 2 months later...

Hi Augustin

Very many thanks indeed for sharing these rare, historic, and beautiful Spanish decorations and documents of the Napoleonic Wars.

At last I have found someone interested in these exquisite Peninsular War awards and who (I hope) may be able to help me with some long-standing, and so far unanswered, queries :

The first concerns the medal for Bagur & Palamos awarded in both gold and silver to British Naval personnel for their actions in Sept 1810.

To begin with ; despite the numbers being "banded around" viz, "8 gold, and the remainder in silver" there does not appear to be any list of names ... official or un-official for these decorations. I wonder if you could help me on this ?

Next, for the same medal ; All of the dealers and most of the printed references refer to the ribbon as "Red with yellow edges", but the example in the National Maritime Museum, Greenwhich, (which appears to be original) is yellow with red edges, and on two Spanish Web sites the ribbon is given as Green moire !?  Is there any explanation for this ?

I do have some other queries re the Albuhera Cross, but I guess these will be enough for the time being.

Looking forward to any help you can give. Sincerely Jeff McWilliam

Maybe I can include some interesting facts (electronic translation)

Granted by the Supreme Junta of Spain several officers and crew of the British ships Kent, Ajax and Cambrian, which docked in Bagur and Palamos, for the good service that made repelling the attack of the French to the aforementioned locations 10 and 14 September 1810.
    According Salat, eight of these medals, in gold, were delivered to several of the officers, among them Lieutenant General Sir Charles W. Doyle, for his services in the attack of the tower and Bagur battery; and the commander Lawrie, who commanded the Marines Cambrian.

SALAT, Josef. Tratado de las monedas labradas en el principado de Cataluña con instrumentos justificativos. Tomo I. Imprenta de Antonio Brusi. Barcelona, 1818

FERRER, Raymundo. Barcelona cautiva o sea diario exacto de lo ocurrido en la misma ciudad mientras la oprimieron los franceses esto es desde 13 de febrero de 1808, hasta el 28 de mayo de 1814. Tomo sexto. Barcelona, 1819,

"Friday the 28th [September]. Reading in the Journal the following article: It is said, that is cradled in Tarragona, order of the Board, a medal depicting an English frigate taking over, in time of entire peace and before any declaration of war, in view of port of Barcelona, several merchant vessels, bringing merchants of this city great amount of piastres from America; on one hand the slogan reads: Spain recognized British fearlessness, and the reverse: Alliance eternal. " (Ibid., P. 342). "But the biggest and graceful of all medals of honor and award, is the one that was recorded to immortalize the action of Palamos and Begur, in September 1810, when the British cooperated to the successful outcome of the plan drawn up by O 'Donell. This medal presented themselves in English and Spanish flags respectively harboring weapons of their nation, with this slogan: Alliance eternal. On the back in the center read: Bagur September 10-Palamos September 14, 1810, and circumference: Gratitude of Spain to the British fearlessness. These were distributed order of the Superior Board, eight gold and silver seventy-eight the English who distinguished themselves in such actions. Twenty-four gold for officers of the garrison of Hostalrich, and eight hundred twenty-four for soldiers, corporals and sergeants, who so gallantly behaved in the abandonment of the castle; and one hundred fifty gold and silver for those who distinguished themselves in the battle of Vich. "

SANAHUJA. X. La seca del Principat de Catalunya (1809-1814). 2003

The number of issued is 12 gold and 82 silver.

All the infomations taken oy my CD "COMPENDIO LEGISLATIVO DE ÓRDENES; MEDALLAS Y CONDECORACIONES". Updated July 2016

Hi Antonio

That's terrific ! Thank you very much for your most prompt and interesting reply.

This document seems to imply that  the medals were given in bulk by the Spanish Junta to be distributed by the British as they thought fit .... hence no Spanish list ??  So I guess I aught to be looking at the UK records if I can find them !  Anyway, this has given me fresh food for thought ... thank you.

Any thoughts about the ribbon dilemma ?

Once again, very many thanks for your help. Regards Jeff

To this medal and many other I have ever known record books or lists of concessions. That does not mean that we would have.
    On the ribbon the image of the medal included in the work of SALAT, have no ring or hook
    I have not seen in any book or work references to ribbon. It could be a medal type "hand" or "table".
    In my website you can see some medals this period, including one of Bagur, with ring, but no ribbon

http://coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/independencia.htm

Hi Antonio

Once again, very many thanks for your kind help in this matter and for the interesting link to your web site. Please find attached (if it works) two further examples of Spanish Peninsular War awards taken from an old Spink catalogue ... not mine I'm afraid.

I will be back later with my Albuhera Cross query later if I may. Once again, many thanks. Jeff

Spain 3rd Army Leon & Cadiz 1815.tif

Spain Chiclana Cross 1811.tif

PS: Sorry I don't know how to download pics yet, but if you click on these,they will come up. Regards Jeff

Edited by Jeff Mc William

3 hours ago, paul wood said:

Jeff, both exquisite pieces, I note there is a Garter to the left of the Leon and Cadiz.

Paul

Hello Paul

Yes, they are very nice (and rare).  I only wish I had seen them at the time ... I might have been able to make a bid. As it is, some other lucky person has "bagged them".  They were illustrated on Spink's cover, that's why you can see the vestige of other items.(copy attached). Glad you were able to open these files. Regards. Jeff

Spanish Medals pen war spink.tif

Fascinating thread... I've not yet gone that 'early' in the Spanish section of my website, but it looks like I'm going to have to!

'Augustin1813' and Jeff, any chance you'd be will to permit me to use your images? With full acknowledgement, of course.