News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Andreas......

This looks like an Indian or Far Eastern pouch plate.......  I cannot get at my books right now to find out which one...... 

It is sterling silver and hallmarked for 1898 made in Birmingham......

Mike

Edited by QSAMIKE

I'm guessing The Burma Rifles (1917-1948).  They had a male peacock in their cap and collar badges.  But if it's dated to 1898, then there's no way

Burma Rifles.JPG

It also has a Guelphic crown, as used by The Rifle Brigade until 1910 and adopted again in 1955-1966.  What Indian regiment was aligned with The Rifle Brigade in the 19th century?

0004_badges_04_post51.jpg

Cheers, Dan.

Edited by Dan M

• 1 month later...

I suspect the secret of the identity is contained in whatever bit of the badge - now missing - is represented by the slot in the bottom face, which presumably originally held a cipher or numeral. :(  I wonder whether another unit than the Burma Rifles would also have adopted the  peacock emblem, so I tend to believe it is a 70th badge, but possibly for a band or some other use wherein a deliberately anachronistic useage.

My tuppence worth.

Edited by peter monahan