News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

York and Lancs collar planchet?

1 hour ago, 74Squadrongirl said:

I believe it to be a planchet for a pattern of York and Lancs Regt collars, I am disregarding Gordon Highlanders, Hampshire or Leicestershire due to the paw flick, nice unusual little item anyway.

Alli

13007204_10153523560397543_7939913878217117106_n.jpg

13001043_10153523559402543_4195170579592698847_n.jpg

I've found this link: https://www.cultmancollectables.com/products/victorian-york-and-lancaster-regiment-collar-badge

I hope it helps.

Jean-Sam.

Thank you, I'll do that, if it's Hampshires I also have a couple of contacts at Princess of Wales Royal Regiment(Hampshires descendent regiment) HQ at the Tower and at their Regimental museum so they may be able to help as well. 

Thanks Jean-Samuel :)

That's the end of the tunnel then, as far as this badge is concerned.

"And now for something completely different: The British Swiss Legion !"

...................?????????..................

Yes, it sounds weird,..... but it did exist !

It was formed during the Crimean War to help Britannia beat the Russian Bear. But by the time they got trained and shipped over to Scutari, the war was over. I suppose the only casualties were caused by sea sickness.  

Here  is an officer's head-dress badge (worn on pillbox, forage cap or glengarry... I cannot say).

Still, as interesting as completely unexpected.

Cheers.

Jean-Samuel

IMGP6437.JPG

Yes, I do have some badges. I started collecting cap badges as a teenager. But I now tend to focus on victorian officers' shako and helmet plates. I most definitely prefer the 1844-1855 Albert shako ones.

I have just taken a couple of pictures of several of them. Sorry for the poor and somewhat "hazy" quality of my pics. I did my best, but its getting dark by now and using the camera flash is just to no avail with glassed frames.  

Cheers,

Jean-Sam.  

GBmiscHelmetPlates1 (2).jpg

GBmiscHelmetPlates2 (2).jpg

Thanks. I'll try to get more pics ASAP... with the right light.

I know what you feel about your being outbid at auction. It did happen to me several times and I always felt rather crossed. But I suppose it's part of the game and one must accept it. 

... Still a bit "hazy", but here are a few more pics of my helmet plates (in seperated messages).

The first one:

Above:  The Royal Sussex regt (1881-1902) / 3rd Foot (1878-1881; trial pattern) / The Bedfordshire regt (1881-1902)

cap badges: The Welch regt / The Leinster regt

Below: 73rd Foot (1844-1855) / 108th Foot Madras Inf (1878-1881) / West India regt (1878-1902)   

GBmiscHelmetPlates3 (2).jpg

... another one:

Above: The Royal Warwickshire regt (18881-1902) / The Border regt (1878-1881) / The Norfolk regt (1881-1902)

cap badges: Middlesex regt (South Africa 1900-02 scroll) / Middlesex regt (Albuhera scroll)

Below: The Border regt (1881-1902; no CHINA battle honour) / 82nd Foot (1878-1881) / Sherwood Foresters (1881-1902)

GBmiscHelmetPlates4 (2).jpg

... a third one:

Above: The Royal west Surrey regt (1881-1902) / Royal Sherwood Foresters / Royal Berkshire regt (1881-1902)

Officer's glengarry badges: Bedfordshire / Shropshire

Below: The South Staffordshire regt 1st vol. batt. (1881-1902) / 25th Foot The King's Own Borderers (1844-1855) / The South Wales Borderers 4th vo. batt. (1881-1902)

GBmiscHelmetPlates5 (2).jpg

... and the last one for today:

Above: 3rd Bombay European regt (1844-1855) / collar badges: Princess Charlotte of Wales's / 2nd Somerset Militia (1844-1855)

Centre: Cheshire Militia (bell-topped shako 1829-1844)

Below: Hartfordshire Militia (1844-1855) / cap badges The London regt 3rd / 7th batt. / 1st Somerset Militia (1844-1855)

GBmiscHelmetPlates6 (2).jpg

Just now, Mike McLellan said:

Don't mean to butt in, Alli and Jean-Samuel, but I couldn't help overhearing you two. What a beautiful collection! Absolutely stunning. The frame-work is first-rate as well. Mike. 

Agreed the way they are displayed is stunning. My poor badges all live in boxes, but that's because I like fiddling with them which I couldn't do if they were framed.

Thank you for this avalanche of compliments.

It's a pleasure ... and a privilege ... to share something with someone who can appreciate it. 

I am sure you also have interesting pieces in your treasure trunk. Don't hesitate to post photos of them as well (ranging from badges to all sorts of militaria such as uniforms, head-dresses, weapons and so forth).

In the mean-time, here is another frame:  

GBmiscHelmetPlates9 (2).jpg