News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

York and Lancs collar planchet?

Note: I hope other GMIC'ers will join in the fun and share with us their goodies.

And another frame, all 1844-1855 Albert shako plates in this one:

Above: 20th Foot (East Devonshire) / 51st Light Infantry / 50th Foot (The Queen's Own)

Centre: East Surrey regt (glengarry) / 1st Life Guards (cap badge) / The Devonshire Regiment (glengarry)

Below: 55th Foot (Westmorland) / Royal Artillery / St Helena Regiment

GBmiscHelmetPlates10 (2).jpg

More helmet plates (mainly 1881-1902 pattern)

GBmiscHelmetPlates11 (2).jpg

... and other 1844-1855 shako plates + OR's glengarry badges + Life Guards officer's pouch plate + 28th Foot (Gloucestershire) back plate:

GBmiscHelmetPlates12 (2).jpg

Edited by j-sk

Waow, it's fab'. You are right: Guards officers' badges are splendid (subtle and classy).

I have a similar badge, but it was fixed on the lid of a silver cigarette box, dating back to the Boer War. Quite probably given as a gift. 

GBcoldstreamGuardsCigaretteBox (2).jpg

GBcoldstreamGuardsCigaretteBoxInside (2).jpg

Regarding the Inside of the box, see the following link for a matching china plate: http://www.nationaltrustcollections.org.uk/object/760651

Note: OVSS stands for "Orange Vrij Staat" (Orange Free State; Bloemfontein as capital; existed between 1854 and 1902, then joined the Union of South Africa in 1910 after 8 years of direct rule by the British... which is asbolutely logical because: "Rule Britannia,..." nudge-nudge, snap-snap, wink-wink ;)), the second "S" of the abreviation probably stands for "Schild" ("shield" / coat-of-arms in Dutch/Afrikaans), hence the OVS's crossed flags and shield.

Whereas for the "verversching contract", I just have no idea what it means or what it's related to. Should any Dutch-speaking people out there know anything about it, I'd be glad to hear it.  

Edited by j-sk

It is a nice object indeed; it does look great on a display shelf...

And here is my last (but not least :D) contribution to the absolutely fascinating helmet-plate-collecting planet: apart from a few officers' collar badges,

a rather impressive Victorian helmet plate of Her Majesty's (... I take this opportunity to wish Her a very happy birthday and hopefully plenty more to come...) Bodyguard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms... 

... and an associate helmet.

By the way, do you collect helmets as well?

GBmiscHelmetPlateGentlemen AtArms(2).jpg

GBvictorianGentlemenAtArms.jpg

Edited by j-sk

When I started collecting, I bought all sorts of stuff, mainly WW2, because they were quite cheap then (e.g.: I bought in Portobello Road an original colonial helmet 1943 issue in very fine condition with full interior and lining for ... £ 15.-- [yes: fifteen pounds...!!!]) and one could buy a WW1 trio for £10.-- [ten pounds...!!!] or even less! You could find original WW2 army shirts for £ 2.-- and Sam Browne belts between £ 10.-- and £ 15.--.... Those were the days...:rolleyes: Mind you, at the time, the British pound meant something: one could get a pint of bitter for about 50 Pence and a weekly London Tube travel card for £ 8.50 ... The prices have now soared dramatically:(

And now I prefer quality to quantity, which means saving up money. It could therefore take me up to six month and sometimes even more before I buy something.

Still, do not hesitate to show what you have. I think every object (whether extremely expensive or not at all) has its own history. And after all, that's all that matters. 

Edited by j-sk

Will do. I mainly collect badges and headgear, but pick up other little bits and pieces like swagger sticks, regimental magazines, hackles, plumes, belts, bits of uniform, whatever takes my fancy really. I collect Operation Banner odds and ends. It's the history behind them that fascinates me.

I 100% agree.

By the way, I think I still have bits and bobs (hackle, buttons, battle dress, webbing equipment, Sam Browne, etc.) you could be interested in. I'll see what I can find and let you know, OK? 

Hello Alli,

Sorry to have you kept waiting.

I rummaged through my "old stuff" I keep in the cellar but only found the following items I am prepared to part with:

- some 17th Lancers anodized buttons,

- some general service green plastic-looking buttons,

- one WW1-dated Sam Browne belt with one shoulder strap,

- one colonial helmet brown leather chinstrap,

- one OSD cap brown leather chinstrap.

I'd rather keep the other stuff for the time being, such as a late 40's Royal Horse Guards service dress (jacket and trousers), N°2 Grenadier Guards officer's blue patrol dress (tunic and pantaloons), Gentlemen-at-Arms blue greatcoat, 17th Lancers officer's white plastron tunic (repaired in places, white cloth changed), WW2 webbing equipments, OR's cavalry black pouch and white cross-belt, interwar corduroy riding breeches, post ww1 OSD, etc.

When I decide to part with them, I'll let you know, OK?  

Jean-Sam

• 9 months later...
    On ‎09‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 00:12, nigelbristow said:

Love your 50th Albert ! should be nestled amongst these ;) know of a light company Albert to the 50th !

16601685_10212379189739167_8394014940261555803_o.jpg

Very nice display! The breast plates look fab! Should you have some frontal close-ups....

On ‎13‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 20:39, nigelbristow said:

Just For You , Do you have any West Kent Regiment or 50TH /97TH bits ? other than the Albert which id like to see a close up of if possible ,

kind regards

Nigel

16730419_10212419046775568_284121872728361479_n.jpg

16730259_10212419046695566_3336381318013243094_n.jpg

16729301_10212419047615589_5407635315110193098_n.jpg

16681880_10212419046655565_7947708007285793651_n.jpg

16712060_10212419046735567_5036851627814803675_n.jpg

16602565_10212419047655590_7897218292893854385_n.jpg

Sorry to have you kept waiting.

The quality of the photos is rather poor, owing to the fact that both plates are framed and sealed behind a glass. 

Best regards,  

Jean-Sam.  

GB1844AlbertShako50Foot(1).jpg

GBGlengarry97Foot.jpg

Edited by j-sk

38 minutes ago, nigelbristow said:

Thank you 

id like one of those ,I'm sure one day one will pop up,

kind regards

Nigel

I got almost all my helmet plates from Steven Bosley (see: http://www.bosleys.co.uk/).

Why not getting in touch with him, he might have something for you or know someone who has...

All the best,

Jean-Sam.

• 2 months later...

I got almost all my helmet plates from Steven Bosley (see: http://www.bosleys.co.uk/).

Why not getting in touch with him, he might have something for you or know someone who has...

All the best,

Jean-Sam.

Hello Nigel,

I have just seen a 97th Foot glengarry OR's badge for sale on Steven Bosley's e-shop.

It is listed at GB£ 95.00. It's worth a try.

(see: http://www.buywyze.com/viewphoto.php?shoph=1021594&phqu=2)

Best regards,

Jean-Sam.