News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest pikemedals

Wow Odin mk3.you been busy I got two singles PC j o'hara and PC f emery who was dismissed. I remember a few years ago I single 1911 to a officer who been dismissed made over 60 pounds on ebay.this week I pick up a ww1 pair and the 1911 all named to PC f noon.your book states he served from 1905 to 1930.anyone who in to metropolitan police medals. this book is the one to have.paul

I have the medal to PC Phasey which cost me £55 a few years ago (and I thought that was expensive then).

I have had some more books printed now if anyone is interested but I regret I will only post to UK addresses as overseas postage is now sadly astronomical - airmail to Australia more than doubles the price of the book.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen a testimonial signed by the Commissioner, himself...  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Horwood_(police_commissioner)

You usually got a certificate http://www.open.ac.uk/Arts/history-from-police-archives/PolCit/docVolCert.html (though usually signed by an Assistant Commissioner or below)

The earliest example I've seen was 1902 I think, but possibly earlier, and the MPS still issue a certificate on leaving (fairly similar), that is signed by the Commissioner, personally. 

I've seen a few interesting Certs of Service over the past few years: I've held PC Sidney Miles' KPFSM (killed on duty), seen Supt Donald Swanson (of Jack the Ripper fame); and PC John Reginald Halliday Christie's (the crook) (when a war duties constable in WW2)... 

All best 

Zeb

Christie's Certificate of Service below

christie cert of s.JPG

Forgive my saying so, but you are being exceptionally kind in describing John Reginald Halliday CHRISTIE as a "crook". He was, of course a "MURDERER" of the first order many times over. If that were not bad enough, he was content to see a young innocent man, Timothy EVANS, executed for his (CHRISTIE'S) foul misdeeds.

Dave.  

• 11 months later...

Yes there a list of the officers who got the sack in the police orders of 1919. At Kew.I got a copy do you need a officer look up ?.they  did keep their medals. I got 2 1911 coronation medals named to sacked officers paul

Hi, new to this site, I've asked in Liverpool and they haven't got a list. Big shame that the Kew list doesn't cover them! the percentage of men sacked there was very high. be interested to hear from anyone who has police strike stories particularly in Merseyside and saying what happened to the men afterwards. I've looked into that a bit. plus one to "The Night the Police Went on Strike" some good info in there. Lots of misinformation was circulated which makes it very hard to follow the story with any accuracy. 

Edited by SBPartridge

Hello.....

I am new to this Forum. I came across it while researching MPS jubilee and Coronation medals, of which I've managed to collect about 40 over the last few years. A mixture of 1887, 1897, 1902 and 1911.

I have quite a few questions on various topics and various officers.

Odin.... Do you still have any copies of your book for sale?

• 2 weeks later...
    On 2017-5-10 at 00:09, SBPartridge said:

Hi, new to this site, I've asked in Liverpool and they haven't got a list. Big shame that the Kew list doesn't cover them! the percentage of men sacked there was very high. be interested to hear from anyone who has police strike stories particularly in Merseyside and saying what happened to the men afterwards. I've looked into that a bit. plus one to "The Night the Police Went on Strike" some good info in there. Lots of misinformation was circulated which makes it very hard to follow the story with any accuracy. 

I understand that Merseyside Police have details of all the strikers. However, they are not in the form of a list as such. What they have are several thousands of of index cards which would need to be researched to collate who did and who didn't strike. The key to the issue is to identify which strikers did not return to duty after the Head Constable gave his order to return to duty, and who were later instantly dismissed. Without doubt, at the time (1919) there must have been a list compiled for pay and other purposes. However, it would seem that no longer exists. If you were to examine the Liverpool Watch Committee minutes you will find various mentions of strikers making applications for re-employment and for the grant of pensions post 1919 through (believe it or not) to the 1950's. In Liverpool no striker (after dismissal) was ever re-appointed to the City Police and none were ever given their pension.

As an aside one very young Constable who did go on strike, Joseph William Teesdale SMITH, did return to duty when ordered by the Head Constable. Joe SMITH subsequently became Chief Constable of Liverpool in 1959 and retired in November 1964. How ironic is that?

Dave.

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

Thanks Dave, yes as you say the index cards look to be the only surviving way of telling the name of those who were dismissed. I'm asking the archivist nicely if she can start making a list but it is a massive job as the cards (from all years) are merged together in one massive lot apparently :( I'll let you know if anything happens.

Watch committee minutes are a good idea. Are those at the Liverpool Library? 

Yes, the Watch Committee minutes are at the Central Library in William Brown Street. The lady who looks after the Merseyside Police historical records will not tackle the job. She does not have the time (or indeed the inclination). I have a contact at Police HQ who also has an interest and he's tried to give her a nudge (several times) without success.

Dave.  

• 2 months later...
    • 1 year later...