News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some East German Headdress, Uniforms and Insignia

Hi, As a sister thread to the Bundeswehr cap insignia, I have decided to try an NVA thread along similar lines to see if anyone is interested.  Your comments, be they critical or affirmative, are welcome and any input you feel would be helpful would be appreciated.

Cheers  Michael R

The first four items are all "soft" caps and hats.  They are all Army and the first three are for female wear.  The first is an officer's dress "pill box" style hat without visor.  Item 2 is an enlisted "garrison" style hat again without visor. Item three is a cold weather visor cap badged to an officer and finally, a male's visor "field" cap.  In my experience, most NVA items of headdress are not rank orientated.  The rank group usually shown by the cap/hat badge.

Army (4).JPG

Army (6).JPG

army (9).JPG

army (10).JPG

I recall seeing East German personnel wearing the "field cap" (last photo) in 1963.  The cap is the same shape as the "M-43" style made famous by the WW II Afrika korps except the cloth strap was attached over the cap's crown (as shown).

West German troops wore caps of the same style on which the cloth strap attached in front, as the original.

Hi Long Thrust VI,  Thank you for adding your comments to this thread and if you feel inclined, please feel free to add any of your collection to the thread.

With thanks, regards and best wishes  Michael R

Hi Again Paul,  Yes, please do add whatever you wish to display to the thread, the more the merrier!!

Cheers  Michael

Some more soft caps and hats.

Item 1 Is an Air Force Officer's fur hat in light grey with the large embroidered hat badge with a metal cockade in silver, very reminiscent of the old metal Luftwaffe cap badge.

Item 2 Naval Officer's fur hat in dark blue with Gold embroidered badge and gold metal cockade.

Item 3 Army field visor ca pin "rain" pattern camouflage with small embroidered roundel.

Air Force (2).JPG

Navy (10).JPG

photo (56).JPG

Item 4 Female Naval Officer's "Pill Box" style hat in dark blue with an all metal gold cap device.

Item 5 Female Naval Officer's "Garrison" style had in white with embroidered gold badge and cockade.  The fore part of the cap is trimmed in gold piping.

Item 6 All ranks combat hood in "Rain" pattern Camouflage.

Navy (7).JPG

Navy (11).JPG

photo (57).JPG

Michael,

Good idea to post some DDR head gear.  A couple of comments;

1-Item #3 above is the last style issued  before the wall came down.  Often referred to as the "baseballmutze".

2-The last picture you have titled "combat hood" is the rain pattern camo cover for the steel helmet and not usually worn without the helmet.  In contemporary pictures it was usually worn, but not always, with the flap on the back tucked up into the helmet liner.  The face veil is usually left rolled up under the font of the helmet.

Regards,

Gordon

DSC04155.jpg

DSC04156.jpg

Hi Gordon, Thank you for your message and observations. However, I think that my head is better looking than your head!! LOL I imagine that you have a collection of EG "stuff" so, please feel free to add it to the thread?????

Cheers once again and best wishes  Michael.

PS I think that Mark Twain was right!!

Item 7 Air Defense Enlisted man's cap with light (Air Force) blue welts and black vinyl chin strap.  The cap device, although very similar to that worn by officers, is slightly smaller and finished in a mat aluminum.   The badge comprises a national cockade with painted details encompassed by an open topped oak wreath.  It is held in position by wire ties.

Item 8 A similar cap worn by officers.  The only visible distinctions are the use of a double strap aluminum chin strap and an officer's pattern cap device.  The device has the same features as the Enlisted device but is in a shinier finished metal, is slightly larger and utilizes enameled detailing.

Item 9 A second Officer's cap with only minor variations.

item 10 Identical in all detail to Items 8 and 9, this is a standard Army officer's cap with white welts rather than blue

Item 11 Once again, identical to the Army and Air Defense Officer's caps, this is a General Officer's cap and varies only in the welt and cap band colours which in this case is bright red, the chin strap and the cap device.  The device, finished in gold metal is affixed, using wire ties, to a shaped backing field in bright red and onto the band. The chin strap is also identical to the standard Officer's strap but finished in bright mat gold rather than silver

Army (2).JPG

Army (5).JPG

Army (7).JPG

Army (3).JPG

Army (1).JPG

Hi, A couple of Air Force Visor caps and some chip bags (garrison caps) to view.

Item 12 Enlisted man's cap in a woolly type materiel. The badge, manufactured in stamped silver metal comprises a pair of out stretched wings with a central wreath encompassing the National Cockade. The badge is reminiscent of the TR DLV cap badge. The upper badge, also in metal comprises an open top wreath encompassing a four bladed propeller. The welts are finished in a light blue piping like the Air Defense caps.

Item 13 This is an Air Force General Officer's cap manufactured in superior materiel and features both blue welts and a matching blue cap band.  The badges are identical to Item 12 but in gold and the chin strap is in bright mat gold. The badge attachment and backing are identical to Item 11 but on a light blue field rather than red.

Item 14 A small selection of chip bag hats.

Air Force (3).JPG

Air Force (4).JPG

Border (8).JPG

Gentlemen,

Since Michael invited me to add some of my caps to his post I shall do so.  First is an early 1965 Air Defence (Luftverteidigung) visor cap with hand embroidered oak leaves and a metal state seal.

DSC04179.jpg

DSC04181.jpg

DSC04183.jpg

Next up two early, 1963 dated, Luftstreitkräfte (LSK) visor caps.  I've decided to post pictures of both caps because they illustrate how they looked as issued by the factory and how some airmen modified them in the TR manner.  While not common, it was done in both German armed forces in the late 50s early 60s.  All insignia on both caps is embroidered silver wire.  The factory issued visor and then the owner modified one.

DSC04166.jpg

DSC04169.jpg

DSC04170.jpg

DSC04172.jpg

DSC04174.jpg

DSC04176.jpg

Gentlemen,

Next a Luftstreitkräfte/Luftvereitdigugn (LSK/LV) woman officer's Filzkappen.  Later issue with a metal emblem.  The white tag at the back of the cap shows the size of 48.  The final picture shows a piece of cloth glued over the prongs of the cap badge.  I have received a number of these caps with bobby pins still on them.  Much better way to keep the cap on a woman's head than the elastic strap on them.

Regards,

Gordon

DSC04191.jpg

DSC04193.jpg

DSC04194.jpg

DSC04197.jpg

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hi Gordon, Very many thanks for your comments, information and for posting photographs of some of your caps. Like Paul, I too prefer the cloth and wire embroidered insignia but I got into post war German a bit on the late side ergo most of the insignia on my caps is metal.  In the main, this is something of a side line collection but I do like both East and West German uniforms, insignia and caps etc. I was hoping that there would be other collectors who would enter their items as you have so once again thank you and please keep them coming!!

Cheers and regards  Michael

Hi Gordon, Some BG stuff.!!  Thank you for showing us your BG chopper Officer's cap.  I must confess to never having seen one!!  Very nice and I would imagine, quite rare??  I have a few BG caps and bits so I will start them with what I consider to be a nice BG General Officer's Uniform with aiguilette and visor cap.  The dagger is what they classed as an honour dagger and is complete with case, straps and belt suspender. I do not know if the BG wore dagger knots??  if they did and you have one, will you please show it for reference.

Cheers  Michael

Border (2).JPG

P1150796.JPG

3 (1).jpg

P1150797.JPG

P1150798.JPG

P1150818.JPG

Hi Paul, Nice, nice and nice again. I like to collect visors and I also like to look at photos of them so thank you very much.  I would like to add a uniform to all my caps but money and space will not allow.  We see your visors so now its time for your uniforms  --  Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers Michael

Very nice. I have some nice berets too, including an officer's orange Fj.  

I have the uniforms for all of my headgear, but I do not have enough space to display them publicly now.  I have my German WW2 and Iraqi Popular Army uniforms out now. 

Hi Gigoo,  Thank you very much for adding some of your headdress to the thread and please continue to do so. Yours is one of the smartest and nicest headdress displays that I have seen!!  You obviously take great pride in your displays and collection and  must have a lot of space to play with?  Very impressive.

Thank you once again

With regards and best wishes  Michael

A few more Border Guard caps to view.

Item 15 BG Enlisted cap with green materiel chin strap and alloy device. The cap materiel is of a woolly consistency.

Item 16 Officer's cap with the larger stamped silver metal device and aluminum braid chinstrap.

Item 17. Enlisted chip bag with small embroidered National Cockade.

Item 18. Ditto.

Item 19. Enlisted ranks cap identical to Item 15 but with a black vinyl chinstrap.

Border (1).JPG

Border (3).JPG

Border (5).JPG

Border (6).JPG

m Border  (2).JPG

13 hours ago, Michael R said:

Hi Gigoo,  Thank you very much for adding some of your headdress to the thread and please continue to do so. Yours is one of the smartest and nicest headdress displays that I have seen!!  You obviously take great pride in your displays and collection and  must have a lot of space to play with?  Very impressive.

Thank you once again

With regards and best wishes  Michael

Thank you Michael R...space is at a premium...A few more pics for review. First visor needs EM chinstrap...

101_1356.JPG

101_1282.JPG

101_1636.JPG

101_1637.JPG

attachment (2).jpg

Schutzenshnurr placement has been corrected...