News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Split prevented and sad tale revealed

I have had a rather resounding success today in preventing a medal group being split at auction I purchased two 14-15 Trios 1 RAMC and 1 King's Own Royal Lancaster and then managed many lots later to purchase the G.S.M IRAQ to:
    11425 Lance Corporal Thomas Lowes K.O.R.L
    Later Private Ordnance Corps S/9604
    Later Acting Sergeant Army Ordnance Corps 7575160

MIC confirms one and the same man and the issue of the 14-15 Trio and G.S.M. Iraq.

While I was not surprised at the split (different number and regiment) the auction house had clearly not checked very carefully as there can not be many T. Lowes, not a common name.

While awaiting delivery I began my usual research his service number puts him in the 6th Battalion King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment and then with a simple Google search this!

http://s574.photobucket.com/user/Doodle1964/media/146115528_1430927725_zps1mvmbymz.jpg.html

Transcript from the headstone reads:

To the memory of 7575160 Lance Corporal Thomas Lowes
    Royal Army Ordnance Corps
    Who was accidentally killed on 8th March 1924 aged 31 years 10 months
    “Erected by his comrades of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps at Bovington Camp – R.I.P.”

Appears that Thomas having survived WW1 and Iraq lost his life in a tragic accident in the UK.

A trawl of online newspaper archives finds This:

Western Gazette 14 March 1924:

SOLDIER'S TRAGIC END WHILST PILLION RIDING

Lance-Corporal Thomas Lowes (aged 31), of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps (No. 18 Section), Bovington Camp, whose home was at Newcastle, was killed instantaneously, on the Dorchester-road, Winfrith, on Saturday owing to changing his position whilst riding on a motor-cycle, which caused the machine to skid. Deceased either fell or was thrown off the cycle into the hedge against a telegraph pole, striking it with his head, which caused a fractured skull and a fractured arm and other injuries.

THE CORONER'S INQUIRY

Dr C.H. Watts Parkinson, the coroner for East Dorset, held an enquiry respecting the case on Monday, at the Military Hospital, Bovington (to which the body had been removed).

Formal evidence of identification was given by Isaac Alfred Taylor, a lance-corporal of the R.A.O.C. Deceased, he said, was a single man of steady disposition.

James Rendle Penn, a lance-corporal of the same section as deceased, who was driving the bicycle (a 3½h.p. Triumph), stated that deceased was an old friend, with whom he had come home from Constantinople. On Saturday afternoon, at two o'clock, he left for Dorchester with the deceased on the carrier. They arrived at the county town about an hour later. They went round the town and had drinks there. They left Dorchester about 3.30 to return to camp, and about 4.10, when about half-a-mile from Winfrith, he saw a light car ahead. The car kept to the left and witness to the right, travelling about 23 miles an hour, deceased riding astride on the pillion. Deceased appeared to move his position, causing the bicycle to skid. Witness tried to keep the bicycle under control, but it mounted the grass by the side of the road, and he was thrown. He was dazed, and when he recovered he found that the occupants of the car had stopped, and were examining the deceased. They told witness he was dead.

Joseph Fooks, dairyman, and Fred Budden, of Steeple, the latter of whom was driving the car home from market, also gave evidence. Mr Fooks, who had been given a lift, said they left Dorchester about 3.30 p.m. Mr Budden's young son was sitting in the front with his father, and witness's father was riding behind with him. They were travelling about 18 to 20 miles an hour, when the bicycle was heard behind. Mr Budden drew into the left hand side of the road. The bicycle passed on the right side, and when eight or ten yards ahead witness saw the pillion rider sway to the right, and he seemed to throw his arms round the driver. The bicycle mounted the grass, on which it ran about ten yards, when the front wheel dropped into a somewhat deep water-table, the rear wheel rose up and threw deceased against the telegraph post. Witness considered the accident was due to the pillion rider swaying to the right.

P.C. Spiller's information was to the effect that he found the deceased had been placed in a field. His face and head were covered with blood. Deceased's cap was in the field over the hedge. The distance from this point to where the motor-cycle stopped was 13 yards 2 feet, and the width of the road was 18ft 2½in. Shortly after the accident Dr Anderson, of Winfrith, happened to be passing by, but he could only pronounce life to be extinct. The motor-cycle (B.K.5,336) was slightly damaged.

The Coroner returned a verdict of "Accidental death"

So a tragic death for a WW1 veteran home on leave, a few beers and a fateful ride back to camp.

Medals now back together

http://s574.photobucket.com/user/Doodle1964/media/Medal%20Forum/DSC_0201_zpsrbeqx8zo.jpg.html

5 hours ago, paul wood said:

Dorset roads seem to have been bad for motorcyclists, one famous victim T. E. Lawrence on his souped up Brough.

Paul

Yes of course! Thanks for the reminder Paul.

Home on leave couple of pints with a chum then catapulted head first into a telegraph pole having survived WW1 and Persia.

• 4 months later...
    On 4/20/2016 at 05:28, paul wood said:

Dorset roads seem to have been bad for motorcyclists, one famous victim T. E. Lawrence on his souped up Brough.

Paul

Paul,not to change the subject but I wonder if you would relay the story of T E Lawernce and how he passed,I do not know?

Peter,thank you very much. I hate to think Churchill would have done that as he is one of my hero's but who knows.Anyway is good reading.I kinda wish this forum was in book form as that would be a really good read. thank you,Ray