News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Reference work for uniforms ?

I am and will always remain an amature when it comes to uniforms, but I am slowly gathering books :-)

I have the following so far.... what do you have and what important ones am I missing?uni.JPGuni1.jpguni2.jpguni4.jpguni5.jpg

of course, the Nigel Thomas one is nowhere as detailed as the other, but you can read it on the toilet which is difficult with the others....

Chris,

it very much depends on whether you are solely interested in the uniforms of WW1. If that is the case, the Kraus books will probably meet all your needs. The three volume work by Knötel, Pietsch and  Collas is superb for the peacetime uniforms of 1914. should you need information on the pre-war development, Pietsch's two volume work "Die Formations Und Uniformierungs-Geschichte Des Preubischen Heeres 1808 - 1914" is excellent. I know you are particularly interested in the Bavarian army, so "Die feldgraue Friedens- und Kriegsbekleidung der Königlich Bayerischen Armee" 1916 by Helm and Strobel is extremely useful.

Regards

Glenn

You also might want to consider the set of plates for the M1907-08 uniforms from Major Arthur Schmidt, "Die grauen Felduniformen der Deutschen Armee" 1912. This was reprinted in 1983/1984 by Druckerei Nehlsen, Hamburg, ISBN 3-922565-13-1. It shows all the branches of the army in color with the uniforms and insignia of the enlisted ranks. Though similar plates are in Kraus, these expand the information. I always go to this first for a quick reference on these uniforms.

Chip

Edited by Chip

• 2 months later...

There is the excellent if pricey set of contemporary B+W photographs arranged by unit of WW1 uniforms by J.Sommers: The Imperial German Armies in Field Grey Seen Through Period Photographs, 1907-1918: Volume I - Uniforms, Headgear, Weapons, Gas Warfare, Telephone and Communications Equipment; Volume 2 - Infantry, Jager, Schutzen, Radfahrer, Mountain Troops and Machine Gunners; Volume 3, Cavalry, Artillery, Pioneers, Transport, Train, Medical, Miscellaneous Formations