News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Home Service Helmet

Yes they are going to vary in price mostly on condition. The badge was generally a generic star with a removable Helmet Plate Centre (HPC), you can pick these up on that online auction site but be aware the HPCs and the Helmet Plates are reproduced. The fakers are doing a pretty good job as there doesn't seem to be that many surviving examples of the real thing, and nobody seems to be getting into the identification of these fakes yet.

Royal Engineers and Royal Artillery also wore this helmet but the helmet plate was a variation on the Royal Arms and the helmet had a ball top rather than a spike.

Officers helmets had gilt fittings and a different pattern plate, other ranks were brass. Volunteers, Militia and Territorials had white metal fittings as shown in the scan provided by Ulsterman, a nice officers Home Service Helmet to the 7th Hampshires or their predecessors. Very scarce and would cost an arm and a leg.

As for the helmet itself being faked, I did see a reference on another site and can't remember for the life of me but it concerns the number of segments the helmet is made from. They aren't fakes they're police helmets made to look like HS helmets.

Unless you particularly want an attributed example go for the best condition helmet and add the plate of your choice. Military auctioneers such as Wallis and Wallis, Bosley's etc have got to be the better bet.

Jim

That's a gem Chris.

Why the ball top though? I'd always associated them with Arms and Services rather than infantry. I've a couple of helmet plates but not the helmet. I'm definitely starting to 'feel the need'. There's room in the cabinet or would be if I got one :o

That's a gem Chris.

Why the ball top though? I'd always associated them with Arms and Services rather than infantry. I've a couple of helmet plates but not the helmet. I'm definitely starting to 'feel the need'. There's room in the cabinet or would be if I got one :o

Thanks Jim

it's a surgeons helmet...hence the ball, to be more exact it's Surgeon Major J Deacon's helmet of the 3rd Volunteer Battalion Manchester Regiment (Vol Batt hence the silver rather than gilt)

Thank you for all the information. I think these are great helmets. I know I really need to focus more with helmets, but I just love the idea of lots of pieces from different times.

I'll post photos of the one I am purchasing when it arrives.

Thank you for all the information. I think these are great helmets. I know I really need to focus more with helmets, but I just love the idea of lots of pieces from different times.

I'll post photos of the one I am purchasing when it arrives.

i look forward to seeing it!

:love:

i look forward to seeing it!

Me too Peter, don't forget

Chris, I'm a bit baffled by a Surgeon Major wearing an infantry HP. I believe there was a RAMC volunteers. I'm not doubting, just confused and seeking a bit of clarification.

:love:

Me too Peter, don't forget

Chris, I'm a bit baffled by a Surgeon Major wearing an infantry HP. I believe there was a RAMC volunteers. I'm not doubting, just confused and seeking a bit of clarification.

don't forget this was pre 1908, the 3rd VB had their own medical chap to administer to them, he's on the army list