Gentleman's Military Interest Club
paja

Yugoslav Air Force Breitling Navitimer 2100

The watch belonged to Yugoslav Air Force Pilot, unfortunately it doesn't work. It seems that Breitling delivered watches with some kind of defect as most of them I've seen so far, and I've seen at least a dozen, don't work. I found information that some of them stopped working after first battery replacement. Anyway they were produced between 1980 and 1985 and have ESA Y2 900.231 movement, model is also known as Pluton. You can see pilots' wings and RV i PVO (Air Force and Anti-Air Defence) inscription on the case back. 
01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG

Edited by paja

Its been a while for me but just wanted to say what beautiful timepieces the movement inside is a bit over designed for the time and harder to maintain but still a wonderful example of the early quartz movements. 

According to information a fellow collector shared with us on another forum you supposedly had to use plastic tweezers or some other tool during the battery replacement avoiding all contact between the battery and the mechanism itself. Is that really true or not I can't say but I've heard stories like that before...

Before Breitling Yugoslav pilots were using Zenith Cal. 143-6 and Heuer 1550SG. 
A friend of mine inherited Heuer and I had photos of it but unfortunately I can't find them. 
Pilots of the Army of Yugoslavia/Army of Serbia & Montenegro and Army of Serbia were and I think still use some of the Citizen's Blue Angels models! Some of the models I've seen have pilots' wings (FRY era type) engraved on the clasp.

8 hours ago, paja said:

According to information a fellow collector shared with us on another forum you supposedly had to use plastic tweezers or some other tool during the battery replacement avoiding all contact between the battery and the mechanism itself. Is that really true or not I can't say but I've heard stories like that before...

Yes it is true, but that is how you have to replace most quartz pieces' batteries. Especially vintage as it can sometimes get picky in changing them. Metal tools can short the battery, it causes an electrostatic discharge and cause the connection to be terminated, necessitating a new movement :( That doesn't mean we can pick up any old plastic tweezers, they have to be electrostatic discharge safe. Plastic itself can also cause a discharge depending on what it has been mixed with to produce it.

So no fingers, or metal tools. Good watchmaking plastic tweezers.

Plastic or Bamboo tweezers (I've always used plastic), there are guys that change them with gloves (handling them with gloves) but I'd avoid doing that, if your hand is too large it will knock something out or worse squish your battery.

My previous reply very nicely illustrates how much of a watch expert am I :speechless: 
Because that's a common procedure and considering just how much of them aren't working properly I presume they have other issues.

Not that long ago there was one on chrono24, it must have got sold as I can't find it now.
If I remember well the watch was in working condition and the price was 1200$.

Last few not-working ones I saw were in the 100-200 EUR range (prices in Serbia). I still regret not getting one with 100 EUR price tag as it was in very good shape with original box and instructions manual, but alas, someone was quicker.

3 hours ago, paja said:

Last few not-working ones I saw were in the 100-200 EUR range (prices in Serbia). I still regret not getting one with 100 EUR price tag as it was in very good shape with original box and instructions manual, but alas, someone was quicker.

IF you find one of thoes broken ones please contact me. 

Edited by nero13

Finally after a year of hunting I found one! So stoked! If anyone have info or documentation on these please PM! :)

CFD6ADA3-8A07-4701-8A0A-4930DF18985A.thumb.jpeg.686419d5367853ae12eb90a82fab47e4.jpeg

8598F700-23F0-4B63-9C4D-AC8F44808F45.jpeg.946fb6226a49378fe6facb7288bbdf47.jpeg

4A2AC8E6-013C-43EC-9882-E675353679E1.thumb.jpeg.3b0c7d337039e1ab58841663f9d51cb2.jpeg

Excellent! Thanks for the photos and congrats on finding it in such a great condition :beer: