News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I don´t think so. The knights of the Black Eagle Order got automatically the Grandcross of the Red Eagle Order to wear this sash decoration as a neck decoration. That is the reason, why sometimes Grandcrosses of the Red Eagle Order are to be found in a single box (without the star, normaly gone with it).

Regards, Komtur.

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, Albert Prinz zu.jpg

solms baruth friedr fü.jpg

I did not know this? So, you are saying a man honored with the Black Eagle Order would receive the neck bage of the Red Eagle Order Grand Cross without Breast star? Was is with sword in war time?

7 hours ago, ccj said:

... So, you are saying a man honored with the Black Eagle Order would receive the neck bage of the Red Eagle Order Grand Cross without Breast star? Was is with sword in war time?

Yes, as regulated in the statutes.

The Black Eagle Order was never given with swords. As by promotion in the Red Eagle Order was determined too, decorations with crown or/and swords awarded before, were worn furthermore by getting the Black Eagle Order, but then on the neck (see portrait of General von Wittich). If someone get the Black Eagle Order and had a lower class of the Red Eagle Order with swords than the Grand Cross before, he was allowed to wear the Grand Cross with swords on the ring.

Wittich, General der Infanterie Adolf von.jpg

Wittich, General der Infanterie Adolf von detail.jpg

Edited by Komtur

That's a beautiful grand cross neck badge. I've seen the Red Eagle worn a few times around the neck it without the red eagle breast star and wondered. Now I know the reason if they have the Black Eagle Order.

it seems to me there would be plenty of Swords of Ring RAO. I need to look at more photos of generals...

thanks

Linsingen image.jpeg

Komtur,

Who is the gentleman in the first photo in your first post?

I know the file name indicates "Albert Prinz zu Schleswig-Hostein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg", but is it in fact "Albrecht Prinz zu Schleswig-Hostein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg"?

The reason for my doubt is that I can't find any Albert as a recipient of the Danish Order of the Elephant whose breast star he seems to be wearing...

/Michael

38 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

... but is it in fact "Albrecht Prinz zu Schleswig-Hostein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg"? ...

I am quite sure it is Albert, because he wrote a few words on the back of this postcard in 1938. The person of this picture looks also similar to Prinz Albert on other portraits.

Schleswig-Holstein, Prinz albert.jpg

Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, Albert Prinz von 1906.jpg

Gotha 1917 - Kopie.jpg

img246.jpg

Edited by Komtur

Ooohh... Beautiful :love:

A former Thies lot, if I'm not mistaken...

Do you have any photos of him wearing this bar?

P.S: Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread :blush:

/Michael

I'm asking because I'm trying to get photos of the last decoration (the Golden Wedding Anniversary of King Chr. IX and Queen Louise) in wear for all the different recipients.

/Mike

19 minutes ago, Great Dane said:

... A former Thies lot, if I'm not mistaken...

Do you have any photos of him wearing this bar?

P.S: Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread :blush: ...

Right, from Thies. Unfortunately I am searching for such a picture too.

And yes, sorry :(