News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Crimea Medal & 1887 Police Jubilee Medal?

If you think about it, such a group would be highly unlikely - The Crimea War finished in Mar 1856 and the Jubilee was in June 1887 - 31 years later.  Someone ex-Army joining the Police post the Crimea War would already be older than the normal new Police entrant.  If they tried to join some years after the end of the War they would probably have been deemed too old for a new recruit.  Normal Met service to retirement appears to be either 25 or 30 years.  So the chances of an older entrant doing possibly in excess of 30 years is quite small. 

Would be interesting if such a group could be identified. I was thinking perhaps of a chap who was a drummer boy aged 15 or so, leaves the army aged 20 or so in 1860, 27 years later (he's still only in his late 40's) gets the 1887 medal? 

drummer.jpg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

I think the answer is that if it does exist it is a very rare combination can find no record of such a group, pair turning up in commerce (could be a trio with the Turkish medal).

Paul

On 6/6/2016 at 10:19, paul wood said:

I think the answer is that if it does exist it is a very rare combination can find no record of such a group, pair turning up in commerce (could be a trio with the Turkish medal).

Paul

The more I look into this the more I'm inclined to agree with you Paul. I think there's more chance of a bobby having the 1911 medal and a WW2 defence medal, than a Crimea & 1887 medal. 

• Image 1

This group to Hugh Graham Lang Chief Constable of East Sussex late Seaforth Highlanders certainly takes the biscuit, estimated at £800-1,000 sold for £2,400 DNW May 2016, 31 years between first medal and 1911 Coronation

Paul

19 hours ago, paul wood said:
    • Image 1

This group to Hugh Graham Lang Chief Constable of East Sussex late Seaforth Highlanders certainly takes the biscuit, estimated at £800-1,000 sold for £2,400 DNW May 2016, 31 years between first medal and 1911 Coronation

Paul

What a cracking group!!!!!! 

This group is a particular favourite of mine. No idea whether it still exists, but the fact that it did at one time, I think is brilliant. 

H Div Medals.jpg

Image 1  Another nice group PC R Franklin  S Division Met, late 9th Lancers, sold 2011 £1,800  Paul

• Four: Police Sergeant James Parslow, Metropolitan Police, late Royal Marines

Ashantee 1873-74, no clasp (Pte., R.M. H.M.S. Encounter. 73-74); Jubilee 1887, clasp, 1897, Metropolitan Police (P.C., M. Divn.); Coronation 1902, Metropolitan Police (P.S., D. Div.); Coronation 1911, Metropolitan Police (P.S.), together with the Great War pair awarded to his son (98250 Pte. W. J. Parslow, M.G.C.) generally very fine (6) £200-250

Footnote

James Parslow was born at Amersham, Buckinghamshire, on 9 May 1852. He enlisted for the Royal Marines at Hastings on 25 January 1871, for 12 years, and served aboard Encounter during the Ashantee War of 1873-74. Discharged on 1 May 1883, he joined the Metropolitan Police at Great Scotland Yard on 22 October of that year. He served in “M” Division at Southark for 10 years 6 months before joining “D” Division as a Police Sergeant, and resigned from that division on pension on 1 November 1909. He joined the Police Reserve and was recalled to “F” Division for the Coronation of King George V.

Another amazing group sold in 2002 alas not illustrated, sold for the paltry sum of £300, I wish I had some money then, 38 years between first and last medal

• 4 weeks later...
    • 10 months later...

Since starting this thread, I have come aware that Thomas ARNOLD of H Division fame was a veteran of the Crimean War..

He  joined B Division on 19 March 1855 and resigned on 20 September 1855 to fight in the Crimean War. At the end of hostilities he rejoined the Police on 29 September 1856, being attached to K Division.

So he certainly would have had both medals. Would be interesting to know which clasps he qualified for and what if any previous military service he had?