Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Chris Boonzaier

Bavarians...a§§ backwards.....

I have quite often noticed photos of Bavarian soldiers mounting their Iron Crosses backwards. I have also had a few Bavarian bars with the Iron Cross mounted backwards.

I have often read of an active dislike between bavarian and Prussian troops, and always wondered if that was the reason they wore the EK with the Leaves facing outward....

Any thoughts?

Best

Chris

Chris, could it be connected to the Bavarian republic of 1919?

Hi,

possibly even more so, but also in wartime photos. I even have a WW1 period Iron Cross award document for the 20th Bavarian Infantry regiment which has an Iron Cross at the top... with oakleaves instead of the "W" !

The Bavarians and Prussians seem to have had an acute dislike of each other, less so the other states.

I remember reading a book in which a Prussian soldier landed in a bavarian Field Hospital. He was mobbed by the other wounded and was badly treated by the medics, until he claimed he was actually a Saxon.... then all went well....

It really hit home when I saw the redesigned Iron Cross on the award document...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/backward-southerners-frigid-northerners-germany-s-real-divide-a-407053.html

even on an ofprussia.JPGficial level.... 1898

Hello,

I thoght, that the backward mounting was a dislike for Kaiser Wilhelm after the war.

Balades mentions something about this with Bavarian pilot badges after the war I think.  He states something about how the crown was broken after the war due to the republic/1919.   I'll try to find the reference and take a photo of it.