News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Afternoon Gents, I recently bought this sword and have not been able to identify it yet.  The elderly gent I bought it from, when I told him it looked early German to me, told me that makes sense as his family moved to South Africa from Germany many years ago and the sword has been in his family for as long as he can remember.

There are no markings on the blade, none at all.

I have not been able to identify the emblems on the hilt, can't find this exact sword in any of my sword books.

Please help.

James MacKenzie

DSC04096.JPG

DSC04097.JPG

DSC04098.JPG

DSC04099.JPG

DSC04100.JPG

DSC04101.JPG

Hi James,

A search of my books on European swords also turned up nothing concrete.  It certainly has the overall look of being German and the shape of the sword and bugle  makes me think cavalry, however the trophy of arms symbol looks a little French in design.  I wonder if this was a sword made for export to other countries rather than for use by the home nation's military.  I hope others will be of more help, that wouldn't take much as I have not been able to shed much light in the identification.

Nice sword regardless.

Regards

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for that. 

I also thought cavalry when I saw the shape of the blade and the bugle.  As Stuka f says, it looks like the bugle has been added.

Real little puzzle.

Cheers

James

Stuka F, I see you collect Congo items.  I have researched and collected Congo Mercenary items for around 45 years now, ever since meeting a friend of my father, Johnny Hoy, who was Mike Hoare's driver in the Congo, with 5 Commando, until he was wounded and sent home.

I suppose it could be a fireman's sword, however, most firefighter's bugles are actually magaphones and lack the "handle" which would denote a bugle. I think it may indeed have been an add-on but this may have been siver plate or other shinny metal option and therefore necessitiated a separate attachment.  Just an opinion with no backup proof of course.

Regards

Brian

1 hour ago, James D.N.MacKenzie said:

Stuka F, I see you collect Congo items.  I have researched and collected Congo Mercenary items for around 45 years now, ever since meeting a friend of my father, Johnny Hoy, who was Mike Hoare's driver in the Congo, with 5 Commando, until he was wounded and sent home.

Must have been quiet a experience meeting Johnny Hoy!

The closest I ever got to Congo mercenary's was the brother of Jean Schramme.

23 hours ago, James D.N.MacKenzie said:

Afternoon Gents, I recently bought this sword and have not been able to identify it yet.  The elderly gent I bought it from, when I told him it looked early German to me, told me that makes sense as his family moved to South Africa from Germany many years ago and the sword has been in his family for as long as he can remember.

There are no markings on the blade, none at all.

I have not been able to identify the emblems on the hilt, can't find this exact sword in any of my sword books.

Please help.

James MacKenzie

DSC04096.JPG

DSC04097.JPG

DSC04098.JPG

DSC04099.JPG

DSC04100.JPG

DSC04101.JPG

Check out German export swords used in South American countries.