News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello!

I don´t see something mystic. Well the paper is printed with 1916, but probably they had those papersrecieved in 1915 for two or three years. No-one knew, how long that war would last...

The first gas-units were two Pio companies in january 1915. They were first called "Desinfektionstruppe". Those companies came to the 4th army, were raised up to six companies. The OHL ordered to form a regiment with two bataillons with three companies each, end of march 1915. This one was called Pi.Rgt.35 since april 12, 1915.

The first gas-attack started april 22, 1915 north of Ypres.

Ca. 6 o´clock p.m. the gas-cylinders were opened versus the 87th Territorial and 45th Inf.Div.. The wind came from north with 2m/sec.

So this document awarded Vizefeldwebel Schmitt, who was engaged with that regiment in that attack!

It was not nice for the belgium troops. The Belgians informed the french high command a few days ago, that there could be a gas-attack. But they ignored it...

animierte smilies ekel ekeln ekelig  Gas ain´t good. My grandfather was injured by a gas attack in 1918

Great document!!!!

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

Indeed.... what we have here...

At the beginning of 1916 there was an order that recipients of the iron Cross should recieve preliminary award documents and that those units whichhad not being issuing them should do so.... usually blanks were sent to the unit who then filled them out and distributed them. As there were no orders as to how this was to be done you have units which signed and stamped, signed but did not stamp, stamp but did not sign, or as in this case neither signed not stamped.

Chip is correct, the day of the award the regiment was still called Gasregiment Peterson, but by the time the award was made it was Pionier Regiment 35.

And I think we can date it to the gas attack on the 22nd of April, maybe the worst attack of the war as the opposing allied troops were not expecting it and had no protection....

So not a nice incident, but a historically interesting document.

• 3 weeks later...