News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pakistan Medals

Riley1965

• Replies 111
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sitara-i-Jurat / Star of Courage

PA-1929 Lt.-Col. Abdul Rahman, SiJ, Artillery

Posthumous, 11 September 1965

Lt-Col 'Chota' Abdul Rahman was commanding 1 (SP) Arty and was forced to act as forward Observation Officer when his unit was taken unawares. It is said that he showed a blatent disregard for his own safety by taking up a position on the high ground in advance of his guns, and by exposing himself to heavy fire set a magnificant example to his men and those around him. From this vantage point he accurately directed fire upon the approaching Indian Armour, his guns destroying three tanks with the first three rounds fired. This is said to have turned the Indian attack away from the weakest part of the Pakistani lines. Chota was killed the next day when communicating firing orders from the FFFs Command vehicle.

Yeah Ed, Pakistani medals. My collection is diverse. By the way...Have you found that Tamgha-i-Khidmat ? I'm still interested.

You have some very nice medals...as always!!

Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Hilal-i-Jur?at / Crescent of Courage

Awarded to officers for acts of valor, courage, or devotion to duty in the face of the enemy. The award carried the right to use the postnominal abbreviation H.J. This decoration is a rough equivalent to the British Distinguished Service Order. Established by No.F.40(3)/Pres./57 of 16 March 1957.

Tamgha-i-Jur?at / Medal of Courage

Awarded to non-commissioned officers and enlisted men for gallantry and distinguished services in the face of the enemy. The award carried the right to use the postnominal abbreviation T.J. and, for non-commissioned officers and enlisted men, a monthly allowance of Rs. 15. The decoration is roughly comparable to the British Distinguished Conduct Medal. Created by No.F.40(3)/Pres/57 of 16 March 1957.

Quaid-i-Azam Police Medal for Bravery

Named to "Rana Maqbool Ahmed, Q. Azam Police Medal".

This is a rather controversial figure, to say the least, in contemporary Pakistani history.

Appointed IG of Police, Sind, in October 1998 (he was previously DIG Police, Karachi). He was among the most junior of DIGs and the press widely speculated on political intervention by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. It was also relevant, perhaps, that he was a Punjabi taking over police operations in Sind. This promotion was challenged in court in February 1999. Many changes had also been brought forward of use of excessive violence, including extra-judicial killings, by the IG against Sindi political parties (especially MQM) unfriendly to the prime minister. This led to growing attackes by the MQM against him as "one of the most corrupt Punjab police officers . . . [with a] shady past" (http://www.mqm.com/English-News/Oct-1999/news-1999-10-24a.htm).

In January 2000, Rana Maqbool Ahmed was brought up on charges of accessory to hijacking and accessory to treason in the attempted diversion the aircraft carrying of General Pervez Musharraf on 12 October 1999. Ex-Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif was, of course, the main target in this case. The IG had ordered police to take control of Karachi airport and, had the scheme succeeded, it would have been his task to arrest the general. Ahmed was, eventually, found innocent on these charges, but his police career was over (though charges of corruption still occasionally surface).

It is unknown, at present, what he did to get this medal, but there is obviously a story surrounding it.

Wow.

Ed

(PS- ribbon incorrect - can anyone help?)

Tamgha-i-Khidmat (Military) / Medal of Service (Military)

This will take a while.

Awarded for long and meritorious service of a distinguished nature. Recipients of the award are entitled to use postnominal abbreviations as detailed below.

In many ways, this serves as a military class paralleling the Nishan-i-Khidmat; it is important to distinguish between this award and the Tamgah-i-Khidmat that is the fourth class of the Nishan-i-Khidmat. This decoration also represented somewhat of an overlap with the older, pre-1947, Order of British India and no soldier could be awarded the Tamgha-i-Khidmat who held the O.B.I. 1st class.

These awards are widely and easily available in Pakistan and are often added to "augment" invented groups. Be aware and be cautious.

Established: No.F.40(3)/Pres./57 of 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan. At some point in time -- unknown at present -- the badge was redesigned.

Obverse: A ten-pointed faceted star (metals and design vary by variety and by class, see below) with a superimposed five-pointed white-enameled star with a star and crescent in the center. Suspended as a neck badge from a suspender with the name of the decoration ?Tamgha-i-Khidmat?.

Reverse: A circle; the medal is sometimes named here, though not always "officially"

Ribbon: Basically crimson and white, but it differs by class; see detailed comments below.

1st class (T.K.I) - Awarded only to those who held the T.K.II or O.B.I. 2nd class. The award carried a monthly stipend of Rs. 40. On retirement, the awardee was to be granted the rank of Honorary Captain (if a Risaldar-Major or Subadar-Major) or Honorary Lieutenant (if a Risaldar, Subadar, or Jemadar).

Roughly, this is the equivalent to the pre-1947 OBI 1st class.

The first variety is a 47-mm silver-gilt faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with an unenameled star and crescent in the centre. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with a single white stripe by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

1st class (T.K.I) - Awarded only to those who held the T.K.II or O.B.I. 2nd class. The award carried a monthly stipend of Rs. 40. On retirement, the awardee was to be granted the rank of Honorary Captain (if a Risaldar-Major or Subadar-Major) or Honorary Lieutenant (if a Risaldar, Subadar, or Jemadar).

Roughly, this is the equivalent to the pre-1947 OBI 1st class.

The first variety is a 47-mm silver-gilt faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with an unenameled star and crescent in the centre. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with a single white stripe by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

The second variety is a 41-mm silver-gilt faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with a star and crescent in the centre, also on a white background. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with a single white stripe by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

Edited by Ed_Haynes

2nd class (T.K.II) - A junior class to the T.K.I. Not to be awarded to those who already held the O.B.I. 2nd class. The decoration carried with it a monthly stipend of Rs. 25.

Roughly, this is the equivalent to the pre-1947 OBI 2nd class.

The first variety is a 47-mm silver faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with an unenameled star and crescent in the centre. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with two white stripes by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

Edited by Ed_Haynes

The second variety is a 41-mm silver faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with a star and crescent in the centre, also on a white background. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with two white stripes by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

3rd class (T.K.III) - Roughly, this is the equivalent to the pre-1947 OBI 3rd class (approved in principle, but never notified or awarded).

The first variety is a 47-mm bronze faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with an unenameled star and crescent in the centre. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with three white stripes by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

The second variety is a 41-mm bronze faceted star with a five pointed star in the centre. The points of the star are enameled white with a star and crescent in the centre, also on a white background. It is suspended from a crimson ribbon with three white stripes by a tablet reading (in Urdu) "Tamgha-i-Khidmat".

Sitara-i-Basalat / Star of Good Conduct

This is very confusing.

What I (think I) know (I think)

Sitara-i-Basalat and Tamgha-i-Basalat / Star of Good Conduct and Medal of Good Conduct

Awarded to all ranks of the Pakistani military for valor, courage, or devotion to duty while not in combat. Recipients of the award are entitled to use postnominal abbreviations as detailed below. The award was originally established as the Tamgha-i-Basalat, Class I and Class II. The name was later altered.

Established: No.F.40(3)/Pres/57 of 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan. Modified by ??? of ???.

Obverse: A circular medal (silver for first class and bronze for second class) with a narrow wreath around the outside margin, with the emblems of the three services: crossed swords and an anchor surmounted by a pair of wings and, above them, a star. The medal is suspended from an ornamental straight bar with the name of the decoration ?Sitara-i-Basalat? or ?Tamgha-i-Basalat,? depending on class and era of award. Tamgha-i-Basalat Class I awards have that inscription, while post-19?? awards have the new name on the silver medal.

Reverse: Blank for naming.

Ribbon: Differs by class, see below.

Awards: To understand the award better, a sample recipient would be Squadron Leader Muhammad Nasir Sar, who was awarded the Sirata-i-Basalat posthumously during the 1965 Indo-Pakistani War.

?Squadron Leader Muhammad Nasir Dar, a signals officer, achieved Shahadat as a result of a direct bomb hit on his place of work during war. He continued to work in spite of the heavy air raid and declined to take shelter. For his devotion to his work above and beyond the call of duty, he has been awarded the Sitara-i-Basalat.?

Outline:

first class ? silver medal ? ribbon dark blue, with light blue edges and red edge stripes:

-- Tamgha-i-Basalat, Class I (T.I.B. )

-- Sitara-i-Basalat (S.Bt.)

Tamgha-i-Basalat (T.I.B.[iI] or T.Bt) ? bronze medal ? ribbon light blue, with dark blue edges and red edge stripes

Below:

1- Sitara-i-Basalat / Star of Good Conduct - 2nd variety, S.Bt. (?) - named "PA-2634 Maj. Gen. Syed Ali Nawab HI (M), ptsc"

2- Tamgha-i-Basalat / Medal of Good Conduct - 1st variety, 2nd class, T.I.B. (II) or T.Bt. (?) - named "PA-3215 Maj. Ehsanul Haq Dar, Punjab."

There is, however, quite another medal out and about, the second (third?) design? And the ribbons shown here are reversed from what I have above (and what most sources show).

As hard as it is to get reliable published information on Indian medals after 1947 (so far), it is 10 to 20 times more difficult when it comes to Pakistan!

Tamgha-i-Diffa, 1948--

The Pakistani continuation of the general service medal tradition came in 1957 (after attaining status as a republic) when the Tamgha-i-Diffa (Medal of Service) was established by notification No.F.40(3)/Pres./57 of 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan. As with India, there had been pre-republic discussion of the medal, and a draft warrant and design - with the cipher of Queen Elizabeth II! - had been drawn up but was never instituted.

Obverse: A 36-mm circular copper-nickel medal. Star and crescent in the center, surrounded by a wreath. Above, the inscription in Urdu ?Khidmat-i-Pakistan? or ?The Service of Pakistan.? Suspended from an ornate straight-bar swiveling suspender and a clasp with the campaign relevant to the award; bars both in English and bilingual bars in Urdu/Bengali have been seen. The medal is rarely seen named. The medal has also been seen and reported in gilt, but this seems to be a totally unofficial modification. The ribbon is 33 mm, green, with central stripes of dark blue, red, light blue, edged with thinner white stripes. Green 7 mm, white 2 mm, dark blue 5 mm, red 5 mm, light blue 5 mm, white 2 mm, green 7 mm.

Reverse: Plain, open circle in the center.

Clasps:

1- Kashmir-1948 ? monolingual in English ? For the October 1947-1 January 1949 first Indo-Pakistani war over Kashmir.

2- Dir-Bajaur 1960-62 - monolingual in English ? For the suppression of "tribal" rebellions in the North-West Frontier Province

3- Kashmir 1964-65 - bilingual in Urdu and Bengali - For border clashes in Kashmir preliminary to the 1965 Indo-Pakistani War.

4- Kutch 1965 ? bilingual in Urdu and Bengali ? For border clashes in the Rann of Kutch preliminary to the 1965 Indo-Pakistani War.

5- Siachen - the clasp has not been seen, but is known to exist - For the Indo-Pakistani "confrontation" on the Siachen Glacier.

None of these are officially named, though a very few have unofficial naming.

Tamgha-i-Jamhuria 1375 / Republic Medal, 1956

Awarded to commemorate the inauguration of the Republic of Pakistan, 23 March 1956. Awarded to members of the Pakistani armed forces, police forces, selected civilian officials, and selected non-officials. The medal was also awarded in gold to heads of foreign delegations attending the inauguration ceremonies as official State representatives.

To quote the full statutes, the medal was awarded:

?to the following Members of the Armed Forces of Pakistan who were in service on the twenty third day of March 1956; including persons who on that day were on leave of any kind pending retirement provided that they had been struck off the strength on or before that day:?

"(a) Officers, Officer Cadets (enrolled), Junior Commissioned Officers, Chief Petty Officers, Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers, Other Ranks and Non-Combattants (enrolled) of the three Services and of other Armed Forces of the Federation such as the Frontier Corps;

"(b) The Rulers of the former Acceeding States and States now forming part of the Special Areas as defined in clause (1) of Article 218 of the Constitution;

"(c ) Members of the forces which were formerly State Forces of the States now forming part of the Special Areas;

"(d) British subjects, and others, serving as Officers, Warrant Officers, ratings, other ranks or airmen, with the Armed Forces of Pakistan;

"(e) Full-time members of the Police Forces of the Provinces of Pakistan and the Federal Capital, the Frontier Constabulary, the Civil Armed Forces and the East Pakistan Rifles;

"(f) Members of the Armed Forces Nursing Service and the Auxiliary Nursing Service.?

Established: No.F.40(2)/Pres./57 of 16 March 1957, by the President of Pakistan, with conditions of award set in No.40(2)/Pres./57 of 21 March 1957.

Obverse: 37-mm circular gold or copper-nickel medal. Within a wreath, calligraphic inscription ?Jamhuria Islamia Pakistan? or ?The Islamic Republic of Pakistan?. The medal is suspended from an ornate straight-bar swiveling suspender. The medal is almost always encountered unnamed.

Reverse: The date of the establishment of Pakistan as a republic. In the center, straight across, in English ?23rd MARCH 1956?, above, curved, the same date in Urdu ?9 Shaaban-ul-Muazzam 1375?, and below, curved, in Bengali ?Jamhuria Islamia Pakistan? or ?The Islamic Republic of Pakistan?.

Ribbon: 32 mm, equal stripes of green, red, black, and white. Green 8 mm, red 8 mm, black 8 mm white 8 mm.

While the gold medal is called for, I have never seen or heard of one in captivity.

Tamgah-i-Pakistan / The Pakistan Medal

Awarded to commemorate Pakistan?s independence in 1947. The medal was awarded to:

?a. Members of the armed forces of Pakistan in commemoration of the change which resulted in the establishment of Pakistan on the 14th August, 1947.

?b. British Officers, warrant officers and other ranks who, on 1st January 1948, were serving in the Armed Forces of Pakistan or India and who volunteered for, were accepted for and subsequently served with the Armed Forces of Pakistan in the Navy, Army or Air Force. Individuals who were eligible for the Indian Independence Medal did not receive this award?

Established: By British Army Council Instruction 741 of 1957. Pakistani statutory basis?

Obverse: 37 mm, circular copper-nickel. The Pakistani flag in the center, surrounded by a wreath. Above, the Urdu inscription ?26 Ramadhan Lambarak 1366 H. / Tamgah-i-Pakistan / 14 August 1947? or ?26 Ramadhan Lambarak 1366 H. / Pakistan Medal / 14 August 1947?. Below, the date ?15 August 1947?. Suspended from a straight non-swiveling bar suspender. Frequently named on the edge.

Reverse: In the center, the monogram of King George VI (the new one), ?GVIR? and the inscription ?GEORGIVS VI D.G. BR. OMN. REX.?

Ribbon: 31 mm, green with a 3 mm white center strips. Green 14 mm, white 3 mm, green 14 mm.

Unlike all other post-Indepepdence Pakistani medals, this one (only) was routinely named on the edge.