News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

buying medals bangkok

cazack

Hello all

I am going to Bangkok for a while for work and would like to know if anyone knows the best place to buy medals, be it Thai or any other military medal items

regards and thanks

Caz

1 hour ago, cazack said:

Hello all

I am going to Bangkok for a while for work and would like to know if anyone knows the best place to buy medals, be it Thai or any other military medal items

regards and thanks

Caz

I've lived in Thailand (mainly Bangkok) for nearly 20 years, off an on. Thais don't collect military medals and therefore, there really isn't anywhere to buy them. Occasionally, some turn up in the handful of coin and stamp shops that exist (mostly in the old city on Rattanakosin island and along Charoenkrung Road near the old post office.). But, rarely is there anything of interest. There used to be a place called the Thieves Market that had odd bits and pieces of military surplus. But, I doubt there's much there, now. if you have time to take some short trips in the region, you might still find the odd thing in Georgetown, Penang, Malaysia, Hanoi (lots of Viet repros, though) or in Singapore. But, in general, Asia is not really the place to look for militaria. There's just no interest.

I rely on my network of collector friends, eBay, auctions and dealers for my collection.

• 4 weeks later...

Cazack, I know a district in Bangkok that sells practically all the Thai medals and decorations you will ever want. Modern ones of course. If you will PM me I can give you some directions.

1 hour ago, achern said:

Cazack, I know a district in Bangkok that sells practically all the Thai medals and decorations you will ever want. Modern ones of course. If you will PM me I can give you some directions.

Why so secretive? Why don't you give the location? I wouldn't be surprised if the Thai medals to which you refer are fake if openly available. There are strict laws here about the unauthorized purchasing and wearing of decorations which could fall under the very strict lese majeste laws, as all decorations are seen as royally bestowed. I was awarded a royal Thai household cypher (HRH Princess Bejaratana Rajasuda, the Princess Cousin) for service to Thai education, while teaching at the royal college Vajiravudh and was stopped once by the police on my way to an official reception because I was wearing it and they wanted to know where I got it and if I was entitled to have it. But, if there is really a place to buy medals, I'd be interested to know where.

Here's a picture of my decoration, just for reference.

Princess Benjaratana badge.jpg

Edited by bolewts58

• 3 months later...

Hi

the one on the bottom left Dushdi Mala - Medal for Distinguished Services in Arts and Sciences (Silpa Vidhya), and the person I buy from is ex 30 year army vet, and all his medals seem legit

regards

Caz

• 2 weeks later...

I was back there in May and there wasn't much to be had that I could find.  There are Thai militaria collectors but they seem to be a select, somewhat discreet group that are hard to break into, especially if you're farang (white foreigner).

You could try Pantip Plaza 2 on Ngamwongwam Rd (Nonthaburi).  It's a mix of knock off items for the most part but on floor (4 or 5?) there is a collectors type floor where amulets and other odds and ends can be found in the various seller booths.  Sometimes you can find militaria there.  I came across a WW1 Iron Cross and French Legion of Honor (3rd Republic) but the IC had the ring cut right where the hallmark was and the LoH was not that great condition wise.  The vendor was very nice to talk to but knew little of what he actually had.

A couple of early American Legion medals and one state medal that peaked my interest in another stall but the vendor had to call the owner and once he heard a farang was asking, the price doubled.

There was one booth that looked promising but the seller was away and either somewhere else in the plaza or..?  I had someone call him but once he knew I was farang, was not immediately anxious to show up.  I ended up leaving.

I understand Chatuchak still has a weekend flea market that has a collectables section but never went to it.  Imagine with the Thai's being very good at faking almost everything, you will not find many original items these days but, it might be worth a look?

Good luck and please post any results or finds!

Tim

• 6 years later...

This is an old thread i know but i can bighly recommend two areas near Chatuchak market. Both are on the edge of the modern market. Easy to access via Mo Chit BTS Line. Just walk clockwise round massive market Saturday & Sunday. I regulaly pick up Thai Orders and even found a British RVM EIIR in a GVIR box obviously for GVIR Funeral to Thai delegation. This weekend i bought a Full Sash set of Order of Thai Crown of Son of recipient for £90 (3700 baht ) he was happy and so was i !! There is an occasional Coin & Banknote fair with some medals but they know how to price things !!! Good Hunting