News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

a lot of saxon officers served with Turkish Army but not units as well.  Like I said it is probably a Prussian officer who served there. May be if you have Marine Ranglisten  from 1918 you can check on it and see if there is a match.

Christophe

Hi Chris.

From 9.9.16-28.6.17 were the Trenchbattles at the Narajowka, between Narajowka and Zlota-Lipa and at the Ceniowka.

The saxon 24.Res.Div. had been there since 29.4.17 and the saxon 53.Res.Div. since 23.11.16.

The all fought with other troops under command of the Südarmee. The turkish XV.Korps too!

Maybe the Saxons fought with the turks.

Here is a map from summer 1917.

But the fact, that there are three high ottoman medals, let me think about the Militärmission

Screenshot (241).jpg

Edited by The Prussian

51 minutes ago, Deruelle said:

Hi,

a lot of saxon officers served with Turkish Army but not units as well.  Like I said it is probably a Prussian officer who served there. May be if you have Marine Ranglisten  from 1918 you can check on it and see if there is a match.

Christophe

Hi Chris and Christophe,

the 1918 Rangliste der kaiserlich deutschen Marine don´t

show Turkish medals, I´ve checked three persons.

Kind regards

Andreas

The Medjidie with Swords is not commonly found, especially among officers who only served alongside the Turks.  It is more likely an officer who was detached to serve in the Ottoman armed forces.  A Navy officer on board the SMS Breslau or SMS Goeben, for example, or an aviator detached to the Ottoman air force (although the lack of a miniature Prussian and/or Turkish aviator's badge makes this less likely), or an officer with the German Military Mission serving on an Ottoman staff.

One candidate would be Lt.z.S. Fritz Böhme from the SMS Goeben.  He had all the awards on the chain, but he was reactivated and also had at minimum the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer and the Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnung 4.Klasse.  So if it were his, it could have been his pre-1935 chain.  He was in uniform from 1933 to 1945, reaching Kapt.z.S., so he might not have had a reason to update a chain for wear on civilian clothes.  

Of course, there could be other naval officers from the Goeben or other ships with the same awards. As Andreas notes, Turkish awards aren't shown in the wartime rank lists. I only know Böhme's awards because they are listed in the Crew Chronik for his Seekadett crew.