News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

ODM of Andorra

I have recently been looking at the Republic of Andorra's orders, decorations and medals, not that there is much to be found :(

There's an Order of Charlemagne (instituted 2007) so not many awarded yet and certainly none escaped to places where I find my images.

There is or was an Order of Merit, commander's badges pop up occasionally but I cannot find any details about when it was instituted, if it got discontinued and what you get it for... or even what other grades there were aside from the commander.

Then I've found: -

Medal of Commercial and Industrial Merit

Medal for Professional Merit in the Traffic Police, in 3 classes

Medal for Service in the Traffic Police, in 3 classes for 15, 20 and 25 years.

And that's all I have found... and virtually no images except Commander of the Order of Merit and Ilja Repetski has a Medal of Commercial and Industrial Merit on his site. I've tried filling out the contact form on the government website, but no response as yet. Anything anyone here can contribute?

Thank you, folks. Of course I have seen your ribbon chart, Antonio, that's always one of the first places I look :)

Thanks for the date for the Order of Merit, Karhu.

The search continues...

I believe that is correct, Chris!

Antonio - I have no idea if that is right or not. If it isn't official, who HAS been awarding it? It's been around sporadically for a while. It may have been discontinued when they set up the Order of Charlemangne... I cannot find anything official before then.

On 6/27/2016 at 09:11, Chris Boonzaier said:

I once read that Andorra was at war with Germany from 1914 until 1945, for the simple reason that it was forgotten to include them in the treaty at the end of WW1 ?

Montenegro and Japan were at war over hundred years, to be more precise from 1904 until 2006.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan–Montenegro_relations

The Olympic Games 1952 officially last till now, because the President of the International Olympic Committee forgot in his speech to declare that Olympiad closed.

On 23/6/2016 at 16:20, Megan said:

I have recently been looking at the Republic of Andorra's orders, decorations and medals, not that there is much to be found :(

There's an Order of Charlemagne (instituted 2007) so not many awarded yet and certainly none escaped to places where I find my images.

There is or was an Order of Merit, commander's badges pop up occasionally but I cannot find any details about when it was instituted, if it got discontinued and what you get it for... or even what other grades there were aside from the commander.

Then I've found: -

Medal of Commercial and Industrial Merit

Medal for Professional Merit in the Traffic Police, in 3 classes

Medal for Service in the Traffic Police, in 3 classes for 15, 20 and 25 years.

And that's all I have found... and virtually no images except Commander of the Order of Merit and Ilja Repetski has a Medal of Commercial and Industrial Merit on his site. I've tried filling out the contact form on the government website, but no response as yet. Anything anyone here can contribute?

Dear Megan, 

I am glad that you have started this topic about my country's Orders and Medals. Many things have been written about them and most of the stuff you can find online is unreal. The current official decorations of the Principality of Andorra are those on Antonio's paper:

- Order of Charlemagne (in its 4 classes although only the Medal and the Grand Cross insignia were ever made in 2008). The graphic designer Mathieu Chaine made for me to publish the digital reproduction of the insignia, as I was not allowed to publish the original pictures I could take of it in the Government building). One of the Grand Crosses (two were made) was awarded to Frank Ghery and he refused the award after a fight with the government. The only Medal made was awarded to Jose Luis Sampedro, a Spanish writter and economist that founded the Summer School of the University of Andorra. 

- Medals of the City Guard: three types of Medal of which I can post pictures as I participated on their design and reglamentation. Medals for 15, 20 and 25 yeras of Service; the Medal of Professional Merit of the City Guards (cross design and same award for civilians contributing with high participation to the activities of the city guards) and the City (Canillo, Encamp, Ordino, La Massana, Andorra la Vella, Sant Julià de Lòria and Escaldes-Engordany) Medals for 25 years of Service as City Guard in a specific City. 

- Medal for 25 years of service at the Fire Corps: non reglamented but awarded since 2011. Working to regulate it as it needs to. 

The other mentions to Medals of Andorra are to small round badges which cannot be considered Orders or Medals if we do not change their designs and reglaments (working towards this right now). Thus, the badges awarded to the Police and to the Borders corpses are neither correctly regulated nor not regulated at all (as the police ones). 

Finally, and hope to close the topic about the Order of Merit asap as I have talked already about it at my page International Orders and Medals on Facebook: it is a FAKE Order, created and produced by Guccione in Rome by someone that had the wonderful idea of selling these pieces to collectors that would pay for a "genuine" Andorran Order. But there is neither any regulation about it in Andorra nor any politician that I know (I know many who ruled in the 1990's) that has ever known or seen it. Same for the Commerce Medal and so on, all fake. 

Oh, and I was forgetting that there are, since 1918 (aprox) some institutional badges for the politicians and other authorities (Coprinces, Ministers, Prime Minister, President of the Supreme Court, etc). 

On 24/6/2016 at 09:47, Karhu said:

Have you seen these two Wikipedia articles?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Charlemagne

http://fr.academic.ru/dic.nsf/frwiki/2067769

Referring to Wikipedia the Order of Merit was created in 1993.

Where have you seen the Order of Merit was created? In 1993 the Constitution was approved, but only this. The first Order created was Charlemagne's in 2007. 

Fascinating, nothing like getting reliable information from someone not only in the country but actually involved in the organisation of their awards!

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get decent pictures of any of the REAL awards to go on my website, would you?

As for the 'invented' awards, I shall document them separately identifying them as such and hopefully laying them to rest...

7 hours ago, IntlOrdersandMedals said:

Where have you seen the Order of Merit was created?

As mentioned before, the source is Wikipedia. It goes without saying that information on Wikipedia should be treated with caution.

Here is the corresponding link
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d'ordres_civils_et_militaires

Thanks for the correction!

4 hours ago, Megan said:

Fascinating, nothing like getting reliable information from someone not only in the country but actually involved in the organisation of their awards!

You wouldn't happen to know where I can get decent pictures of any of the REAL awards to go on my website, would you?

As for the 'invented' awards, I shall document them separately identifying them as such and hopefully laying them to rest...

Dear Megan, 

It is thanks to Antonio that I got here hahahaha I have been coworking with him in order to settle the right ribbons and awards. 

I will contact you to your email, as some years ago told you, your page is wonderful!

Regards, 

Adrià

53 minutes ago, Karhu said:

As mentioned before, the source is Wikipedia. It goes without saying that information on Wikipedia should be treated with caution.

Here is the corresponding link
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_d'ordres_civils_et_militaires

Thanks for the correction!

French wiki modified. No links to settle this effective year of creation. You can check www.bopa.ad and look forward Orde al Mèrit and you will only find refeerings to the Order of Charlemagne...

Decree of 12-9-2007 consolidation Charlemagne Prize (Official Gazette of Andorra No. 75 of 19.07.2007).
    3. The distinctions that make up the set of "awards Charlemagne" are:
    a) the Charlemagne Prize for Literature
    b) the Charlemagne Prize for Literature in Catalan
    c) the Charlemagne Prize of the arts
    d) Charlemagne Prize of Science
    e) the Charlemagne Prize of humanitarian action
    f) merit awards Charlemagne

Ministerial Order granting the awards Charlemagne (Official Gazette of Andorra No. 104 of 12.12.2007).
    Chapter Three. The awards merit Charlemagne
    article 12
    Purpose of awards
    The Charlemagne merit awards are intended to reward merit acquired by people distinguished in their field of activity or perform or have performed important services to the Andorran State.

Exactly, the Order of Charlemagne is oddly (this is to be modified in a future) included inside the Charlemagne Prizes as the "Charlemagne Prize of Merit". Then, the regulation says: "The award of the Charlemagne Prize of Merit means the iclusion of the awardee in the Order of Charlemagne". Of course a complete nonsense regulation that needs to be modified in order to separate the Order from a different award institution as the Charlemagne prizes are, 

Edict
    1. The proposed final award

2. Contracting Authority

a) Identity: Ministry of Economic Development, Tourism, Culture and Universities
    b) date of the agreement of the Government: 20 May 2009

3. Details of the award
    a) Identity of the contractor: Spink and Son Ltd
    b) Name of work: Production of medals of the Order concerning Charlemagne Charlemagne Merit Awards 2008
    c) Location: Andorra
    d) certain price: £ 18,575.44 (including indirect taxes)
    e) budget items: 365-365-22760-proj.0001
    f) Term of implementation: December 2008
    g) Payment of award: direct award
    h) Type of contract: ordinary

Which is published for general knowledge.

Andorra la Vella, 20 May 2009
    Edited by Antonio Prieto

The Spink and Son budget included the dyes for the Order and the insignia of 2 grand crosses (with sash and neck ribbon plus a star) and the Medal awarded to José Luis Sampedro. No Collars or Commander crosses were made (although the neck cross of the grand cross is exactly as a commander cross is). The cases of issue are red with the Andorran coat of arms in gold in the center. 

Miniature, Star, sash badge and Medal of the Order of Charlemagne (drawn by Mathieu Chaine for them to be published).

0f345854-c3ee-4857-a903-6052877776b7.png

00f159ad-e677-4651-99c1-b4ae850adc81.png

0fe13673-acc5-4922-a6cc-855155e13807.png

Medal of the Order of Charlemagne, awarded to José Luis Sampedro in 2008 for his contribution on the foundation of the Summer School of the University of Andorra. 

c12c3d10-d7e9-4979-a162-89bd06ae82e9.png

Medalla Orde de Carlemany.JPG

fotos sampedro (2).jpg

fotos sampedro pintat.jpg

Oh, and Megan, a VERY important point to point out: Andorra is a PRINCIPALITY not a Republic :-)

Edited by IntlOrdersandMedals