News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French ID tag help

Tony

Hello,

I need a bit of help with this French ID tag named to Jules Paulian, I checked the Memoire des Hommes site and found a man named Jules Evariste Paulian who was killed in Dieuze, 20/8/14.

The tag doesn’t show a middle name but other points appear to fit according to the casualty paperwork for JE Paulian:

Class 1907

Recruitment area Nice

Number 30

Do you think it's definite, unlikely or a definite maybe that Jules Paulian and Jules Evariste Paulian are the same person?

Thanks for any help.

Tony

archives_I650218R.JPG

IMG-20160528-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20160528-WA0005.jpg

Hello,

If you look at the conscription list for the Alpes-Maritimes department (Nice), you will see that there is only one man named PAULIAN.

http://www.basesdocumentaires-cg06.fr/archives/indexRM.php

On this list, first names are Jules Évariste and identification number is 30.

So the is absolutely no doubt that this tag owner was Jules-Évariste Paulian.

Best regards.

Francois

Edited by francoismln

Francois,

Thanks very much for the reply!

I also found a book about 111e RI online, I think the fallen should be named in this book(?) http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k6235197q/f17.item.zoom however, although J. Paulian can be found as a member of this unit on Memoire des Hommes, the name Paulian isn’t in the book.

If anyone's interested there's a brief description about the involvement of 111e RI in the battle at the beginning of the book and there's also

a write up on Chris' site

http://www.kaiserscross.com/41815/329201.html

Tony

Brilliant research!

Chapeau, mes grognards!

Note, that the recruitement was in Nice. The regiment had its garrisson in Antibes, a few kilometres from Nice.

The regiment fought in 1914 in Lorraine, battle of the frontiers, battle of the "trouée des Charmes", and at the Marne

In 1915 at Verdun and in 1916 at Verdun and upper Alsace.

In june 1916 the regiment was dissolved.

On the regimental flag the battle of the Marne is mentioned: "La Marne 1914"

Edited by The Prussian

Yes the book, History of the 111th Inf. Regt. only goes up to 1/7/16 and a pity he isn't mentioned on the Roll of Honour, but being only 16 pages long a lot has probably been left out.