News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Possible Seekampfabzeichen in wear photo

Hi,

I have this photo which looks like the Seekampfabzeichen is being worn.

I would like opinions. Unfortunately the photo is not that sharp so some details are lost.

Cheers,

Larry

img040.jpg

I have played around a bit with the photo. Still not sure.

Cheers,

Larry

wh.jpg

Edited by hucks216

Really hard to make out and you've done a good job with photoshop. Can't help but think the wings on the badge he wears are straight (although that might be due to how the badge is sitting on his tunic) and more like a KM Minesweeper's Badge. The more I look at it the more I can see the sea at the bottom and a plume of water in the center.

Edited by hucks216

38 minutes ago, hucks216 said:

Really hard to make out and you've done a good job with photoshop. Can't help but think the wings on the badge he wears are straight (although that might be due to how the badge is sitting on his tunic) and more like a KM Minesweeper's Badge. The more I look at it the more I can see the sea at the bottom and a plume of water in the center.

Thanks for your input. I had thought of it being a Minesweeper's badge but dismissed it because the plume-like part in the middle wasn't centered but seems to be to the right. You still could be right of course.

Wasn't the Seekampfabzeichen awarded to Luftwaffe personnel? The eagle on his tunic is also hard to make out, can't tell whether it is LW or KM.

Cheers,

Larry

img040km.jpg

It was awarded to the LW, but in some cases so was the Minesweeper Badge, normally to those units flying the Ju-52/MS such as Minensuchgruppe 1. But as he doesn't seem to have any other flying badges I would say that he is Kriegsmarine. The wings on his breast eagle look more straight then the wings of a LW eagle.

Hard to be sure but his shoulder board might be the thinner KM type which appears to have a cypher on it - possible medical branch?.

Edited by hucks216

16 hours ago, spanferkel said:

I think I would go with KM Auxilary Cruiser badge. If you look at the negative space (void) on the upper left it seems to match.

interestiing topic.

jeremy

I had not thought about that badge. Dimensions are the same and the void space is almost exactly the same.

Thanks Jeremy for your thoughts. Here is AC badge superimposed over my photo.

Cheers,

Larry

img299km - Copy.jpg