News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German Medal bar with Ottoman Awards-

Gordon Craig

Gentlemen,

I have seen this artifact on elsewhere and would like your opinion on it.  The Ottoman awards were possibly made in Germany so authenticity, IE made in the Ottoman Empire, is not the question.  Does this bar look possible to you?  Would a silver and gold Imityaz medal have been worn together?  Since this is a German bar that question my not be relevant.  Any relevant comments that you can make would be appreciated.

Regards,

Gordon

$_57 (2).jpg

$_57 (3).JPG

$_57 (4).JPG

$_57 (5).JPG

$_57 (6).JPG

$_57 (7).JPG

Hi Gordon,

Yes one can wear both silver and gold Imtiyaz and silver and gold Liyakat at the same time. First you get the silver then gold. In this bar 1,5,6,7 could be awarded at the same period together, what about 2,3, and 4 .      

Best wishes

Demir

I think a bigger 'flag" is the Kyffhäuser and the HK on the bar at the same time.

All the ribbons are uniformly dirty on the front with folds in the back that are all neat and orderly next to a clean and fresh looking felt.   :rolleyes: 

2 hours ago, demir said:

Hi Gordon,

Yes one can wear both silver and gold Imtiyaz and silver and gold Liyakat at the same time. First you get the silver then gold. In this bar 1,5,6,7 could be awarded at the same period together, what about 2,3, and 4 .      

Best wishes

Demir

Demir,

Thanks for your comments.  #2 is a state commemorative award for the 1914/1918 war and is in the correct location on the bar.  #3 is a commemorative award issued by the Third Reich in 1935 so the bar would have been made up in this configuration after this medal was received.  #4 is the   Kyffhäuser  award from a veterans organization.  The PALASTINA bar would be correct for someone who served in the German Asiakorps and I would expect to see this bar in a medal bar containing three Ottoman awards.

Claudius,

There is concern about this medal bar in Germany.  The clean back, and the material used on the back, is a problem as you have pointed out.  The whole thing would be very desirable if it were to have good provenance but that is unfortunately not there.  So it turns into a research project.  It will be commented upon in some German language forums.

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

this medal bar was discussed at the German SDA Forum too.

http://h2385226.stratoserver.net/wbb3/board160-sonstige-anfragen-oder-beiträge-die-nur-auktions-weblinks-beinhalten/76189-ordensschnalle-des-users-wilro11-auf-ebay/?highlight=

I like German medal bars with turkish medals too, but I wouldn´t buy this one.

Kind regards
    Andreas

6 hours ago, demir said:

Forgot to mention, the silver imtiyaz is a German made one, not original and the gold one not original also IMHO.

Demir,

Thanks for the comment.  I was sure that the Ottoman medals would have been made in Germany because of the dates some of the other medals were instituted.  The real question on a bar like this is "Were these Ottoman Empire medals made in the 1930s or are they recent copies?"  A very difficult thing to figure out.

Dedenhausen,

At first glance this medal bar is of interest but after some closer observation it is just a research project.  I knew it was going to be discussed on the German forum that you mentioned.  A colleague told me he had posted it for comments.  I tried to join this forum but the security question stumped me.  Everything on the form to join was in English but the security question and it can not be translated the way it is written so my application went unfinished.  Thanks for your comments.  I wouldn't buy it either.

Regards,

Gordon