News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Mons Bar Trio

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Hi guys. I have a chance to grab this guy. Any read flags? How does the ribbon, mons bar etc. look? Thanks.

Guest Darrell

Looks like a "period" mismounting (with rosette), checking his MIC at the NA/PRO will confirm the medals and clasp. All named OK?

Hi Ed. The seller states:

1914 Star, with clasp (17775 L. Cpl., R.E. ); British War and Victory Medals (17775 A. Sjt., R.E.), mounted as worn with additional silver rosette on first ribbon.

What do you mean by "period mismounting"?

Thanks for the help :beer:

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

No alarm bells except good ones. Would check the MIC though, just to be sure.

Forgive my ignorance. Is there a site on-line where I can check the MIC?

Hi Darrell,

Nice trio!

My thoughts are that the owner mounted these himself and as he had forgotten to snip off some ribbons for the ribbon bar...( and then mount the rosette to that) so he had a leftover rosette, so decided to mount it to the top of the ribbons on the home made bar.

OR, he just had a spare rosette and thoght to sew it to the bar..or risk losing it...( they are quite small and easily lost, one would imagine)

Anyway...if its a good price...snap it up!

Regards

Paul

Guest Darrell

Hi Darrell,

Nice trio!

My thoughts are that the owner mounted these himself and as he had forgotten to snip off some ribbons for the ribbon bar...( and then mount the rosette to that) so he had a leftover rosette, so decided to mount it to the top of the ribbons on the home made bar.

OR, he just had a spare rosette and thoght to sew it to the bar..or risk losing it...( they are quite small and easily lost, one would imagine)

Anyway...if its a good price...snap it up!

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul. I would guess that the Rosette are normally only mounted on the ribbon bar (1914 star)?

Guest Darrell

Well guys ... here is the works ... can someone look this over and give me any moire details? This is rather confusing for a German Collector :speechless:

P.S. Sorry ... the download I received had a few other fellows listed as well .. had to delete those ones ....

Edited by Darrell

Guest Darrell

Sooo ... after FINALLY posting the correct guy :blush:

It appears he was entitled to the medals in the bar ... including the bar. Since his qualifying date was August 15, 1914.

Looks good. The MIC has confirmed his 1914 Star and clasp, and that is the dangerous one. There is probably another card for his BWM and Vict, but if he'd got the '14 he'd surely get them too. Others who are more adept at reading these cards to natives (of the British Isles) may be able to add more. The only cards I have any real interest in (medals to Indians) were all destroyed in the early 1980s :(

Guest Darrell

Looks good. The MIC has confirmed his 1914 Star and clasp, and that is the dangerous one. There is probably another card for his BWM and Vict, but if he'd got the '14 he'd surely get them too. Others who are more adept at reading these cards to natives (of the British Isles) may be able to add more. The only cards I have any real interest in (medals to Indians) were all destroyed in the early 1980s :(

Thanks Guys. Ed appreciate the info.

P.S. What happened to the Indian Records? Fire? Or scullduggery?

Guest Darrell

Worse. "Weeding" of records "no longer required". Showing why archives ouight never be left in a working office.

IPB ImageIPB Image

Hmmm ... wonder who made THAT decision? The local Decorator doing some renovations who needed the extra 2 closets? :(

Edited by Darrell

Guest Rick Research

Was this acquired in Canada (immigrant?) or Britain?

Tried the Mormons-- useless as usual, beyond establishing this very weird name Chowings as coming from Devon. Seems a discrepancy on initial G. rather than some earlier A.G. Couldn't they have @&*# put the FULL name in? What morawn decided millions of initials-only was a "good" idea?

Is that a unit on his card-- "5 Ya Co., R.E." ?

Guest Darrell

Couldn't they have @&*# put the FULL name in? What morawn decided millions of initials-only was a "good" idea?

Is that a unit on his card-- "5 Ya Co., R.E." ?

:lol: Well at least I can read this stuff. It makes my eyes cross trying to look at Russian syllabels :speechless:

Not sure what 5 Ya Co., R.E. means .....

Guest Rick Research

Ya(rdwork, Lawns, & Shrubberies)? :rolleyes:

Mystery is good. Will watch this mousey-hole and see what story develops! :cat:

Guest Darrell

Got some feelers out elsewhere. Here are a couple of responses from some British Gurus elsewhere ;)

1. From what I can see the naming looks right as well. Looks like what Williamson calls Official Style #1 as seen on 1914 Stars to British Forces. As you note the pic is a bit fuzzy so I can't tell if there is a "stop" after the first initial. Anyway, I think I'd be happy with it.

As I'm sure you know the MIC indicates arrival in France/Flanders theater of war on 15 August 1914. It also confirms his award of the clasp. Looks like it also sheds light on his specific sub-unit in the RE as well.

2. I will hazard an educated guess and say it looks like 5 Field (Fd) Company (Co), part of 2 Div. Deployed to France in Aug '14 and took part in most of the Major battles of that period. Your man was undoubtedly a regular and probably had an interesting war!

Looks like some info is coming in :beer: