News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello!

Is anyone there to tell me, which huge car we´ve got here?

Some people told me, it´s an NAG, some said, it´a Bugatti.

I have no idea.

Background: It´s number plates are: MK-XIV 88 (Militär-Kraftwagen, XIV.Armee-Korps with number).

I can´t recognize the colour of the number-plate. If there are red letters, it´s a car of the "Freiwilligen-Automobil-Corps". Those were private persons, who borrowed their personal cars to the army during the war.

Those plates were only used in Germany, not at the front. So this car is registrated in Karlsruhe. I can´t read the flag (something with a "D", a "5" and "Gruppe"). We also see some french prisoners. The one has a 15 at his collar, the other one is a Chasseur d´Alpines.

Some german soldiers have collar Litzen (> Kraftfahrer).

Maybe someone knows the officer on the back seat. Probably the commander of a prison camp?

In the area of the XIV.AK we had four prison camps:

Lager Heuberg
    Lager Mannheim
    Lager Rastatt
    Lager Tauberbischofsheim

Thanks for helping!!!!!

Kraftwagen XIV.AK (gefangene Franzosen).jpg

Hi Tony!

Yes, I haven´t found Bugatti like that. Maybe it´s an NAG, but during that time they only built 4 Cylindre-models.Could this huge one have only 4 pots?

Edited by The Prussian

13 minutes ago, Spasm said:

It's a Delaunay-Belleville. The French Rolls-Royce of it's time. Maybe a 1913 model. Probably why the French are having their photos taken with it.  

Clever clogs ;)

A similar model is here https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Delaunay-Belleville_1914-1917.JPG

A better link http://www.artcurial.com/en/asp/fullCatalogue.asp?salelot=2107+++++322+

• 1 month later...

Hello Certainly the car looks as a Delaunay . czar Nicholas II owed several of these luxury cars . the bodywork of this precise car is special and rather sport looking , that appears to be a car post at disposal by some wealthy owner perhaps the elegant driver .was common . The moustachoed officer is not William II ! Cheers 

Not a kommando flagge neither corps division or brigade , perhaps of the German volunteer automovil corps a militarized automovil club whose chef was prince Henry of Prussia brother of William . the DFAK have uniform ,a grey one with adark red collar . a slouch hat and later a field cap and a side weapon a hirschfanger . all of the drivers were wealthy car owners Prince Henry itself used to drive personally his car during the war .

Hello During  the ww1 were in Germany 95 prisoner camps for soldiers and 80 for officers . the depended of Inspektions (in german ) they coincide with the Army corps , so there were one for the Oberkommando der Marken one for the Garde Korps and so on totalling 21 inspektionen apart the bavarian saxon and the wurttembergian each inspection comprising a variable number of camps The references not mention gruppe or numbers 

The Prussian : The xiv AK was part of the Prussian army the 14 inspektion comprended five Truppen lagern Heuberg Mannheim Rastatt Tauberbischofheim and eight Offiziere lagern Freiburg Heidelberg Karlsruhe Lahr Pforzheim Rastatt Villingen and Vohrenberg . ¡nice job to find in wich camp was the photo made !  

• 3 years later...

Hello!

In the book "Die Rimann´sche Sammlung deutscher Autoflaggen und Kfz-Stander" (by Andreas Herzfeld), is the same photo published. The photo in that book is written with:
    Sammelgefangenenlager Roedel, Dienstfahrt auf 100PS, 1915 (Collective Prison Camp Roedel, official trip with 100HP, 1915)

The flag should be "Fahrzentrale J.K.D. ("Immobiles Kraftwagen-Depot") 5, Gruppe 1 (Driving centre immobile car depot 5, group 1)

I couldn´t find a "Roedel", but Generalmajor "Röhrich" was the leader of the prison camp Mannheim!

Roedel - Röhrich... sounds similar... maybe the script was so bad, that the correct name couldn´t be read clearly? I haven´t seen the reverse. The reverse of my photo is blank

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

• 3 months later...
    On 02/07/2020 at 17:46, sonfelski said:

MK licensce plate is märkischer kreis. but i don't know if they used that system then.

It's located i the lower sauerland.

Hello!

No, these plates with the "Town-letters" came up in 1957.