News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Letter Ortsgruppenlieter Hildesheim

Hello Jock.

Thanks for showing this.

Something similar must have reached my mother-in-law towards the end of 1943 concerning the death of her husband. Of note is the ending phrase : und Ihr habt doch gesiegt! ( and you triumphed after all!)

The often used slogan celebrating the fallen members of the party and its subordinated formations ( H.J., SA etc).

Bernhard H. Holst

Edited by Bernhard H.Holst

Bernhard,

I was having a google of the Office of the official and noted that we bombed Hildesheim around then killing 32 civilians, I wonder if this was a 'State' response to a next of kin of one of the victims?  I will have a look tonight on night shift. I would have thought the town has a memorial to the fallen civillians somewhere.  I am sure at that stage of the war all the slogans were beginning to sound a bit hollow?

Hello Jock.

I am more inclined to consider this as notification of the family of a fallen soldier. I believe this to have been the official path of such notification.

I should check the Bomber Command War Diaries.

BTW: I was hunkered down in March, 1945 in the underground shelter of Hildesheim Main Railroad Staitom while under daylight air attack on the the way home from evacuation.

Bernhard H. Holst

There are 2 'Brehme' listed in the Volksbund as being killed in July 1944 but neither were born in Hildesheim.

There are 4 'Brehme' listed as having been killed in August 1944. One was born in Erfurt and one is listed as Missing so I think they can be ruled out. However, there are two listed who were both born in Hildesheim with the dates of birth being 5 months apart so it is possible that one of them could be who the letter was about.

dbvb.jpgkbvb.jpg

Edited by hucks216