News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I don't normally collect Soviet groups, but when I do...

I haven't bought a Soviet medal group in ages. I don't really collect these anymore, even though I owned several hundred over the years (I started collecting Soviet medals in 1992...) Anyway, I saw this one on eBay and ended up being the only bidder (it wasn't bargain priced, but still...) In all the groups I've owned, very few (less than 10) have had the amount of random paper this one has (and that I like!) There are a plethora of ID cards, booklets, and other documents, to include his death certificate, for both he and his wife. They never had children, so I'm assuming she passed on and the group was sold from there. 

I don't know if this group has been in the collecting world before as it's simply pristine...to include having homemade cardboard washers under the screwback disks on the orders and Guards badge! One of the things I really liked about the group is that the bar he's wearing in the photo is the exact bar in the group and the Red Star has the enamel on the one arm broken in the photo! 

I just got this group in last night and still have yet to get around to translating it, but it appears he served in the Red Army from 1936 through the end of the war, and was then a Major in the reserves. He was born in 1910 (his wife in 1915) and he passed away in 1988. 

Just goes to show good stuff is still out there!!!

There are 27 photos to be posted...so enjoy!

Dave

soviet_group07.jpg

soviet_group08.jpg

soviet_group09.jpg

soviet_group10.jpg

soviet_group11.jpg

soviet_group12.jpg

soviet_group13.jpg

soviet_group14.jpg

soviet_group15.jpg

soviet_group16.jpg

soviet_group17.jpg

soviet_group18.jpg

soviet_group19.jpg

soviet_group20.jpg

soviet_group21.jpg

soviet_group23.jpg

soviet_group24.jpg

soviet_group25.jpg

soviet_group26.jpg

soviet_group27.jpg

soviet_group28.jpg

soviet_group01.jpg

soviet_group02.jpg

soviet_group03.jpg

soviet_group04.jpg

soviet_group05.jpg

Correction...now that I looked at the photos...he joined the Red Army in 1932! 

• 4 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 2 years later...
    • 5 months later...

Nice one. The gentelmen was from Belarus. He was a political officer (politruk) of his company of soldiers. He was aslo an assistant to the company's commander as well. Looks like he ended his military service in the rank of a captain. His wife's info is included as well (including his death certificate). It's interesting that one of his documents states that he was an agitator (political agitator?) of his regiment from 1943-45:-)

Edited by brian1978