News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslav First Tank Brigade Medal

I don't remember seeing that medal before but it looks just like one of those Slovenian commemorative medals from the '80s. I've seen couple of medals of very similar design commemorating 40 years of Slovenian brigades and units. 
    There are also bunch of fakes on the market so one should be careful when acquiring them. 

The medal is definitely Slovenian, except for the "style" the inscription is in Slovenian, "I tAnkovska brigada".
    According to some information I found online 800 of them were made, 600 numbered + 200.

• 1 month later...
    On 26.08.2016. at 21:23, paja said:

800 of them were made, 600 numbered + 200.

This one is 691...The same thing is with the Order of People's Liberation. It says that 262 were awarded but I've seen the Russian type go over 1000 and a Yugoslav type around 1000. 

I've found that information on a certain forum, I don't know how reliable it is... I'm not an expert for Slovenian partisan commemorative medals nor do I have proper literature that deals with that field. Maybe some of the members from Slovenia can help us resolve this issue.
    When it comes to the People's Liberation Order situation is different, 262 is the number of awarded orders, not number of numbered ones. As we know orders were not being awarded according to their number so it's not so unusual to see, for example, decoration with larger number awarded before one with smaller number. 
    Also even though there are bunch of People's Liberation Orders (Yugoslav type) on the market (including fakes) I've never seen examples with number as high as 1000. So far I haven't had a chance to see an order with number over 5XX.

Edited by paja

As an illustration of what I wrote above I'll use information from the exhibition catalog found on Historical Archive of Belgrade website.
    Konstantin Popović was awarded with the Order of People's Liberation in 1945, he received order with number 297.
    Dragoslav Marković  was awarded in 1953, number of his order is 239 and Leposava Perović awarded at the same time as him received order number 357...

Edited by paja

Interesting info, didn't know that. I can't find the picture of Yugo type with around 1000. If my memory serves me right it was 95X. 

One more question. If the number of the order is higher than the number of awarded orders (example 357 like Perović's) does that mean that they've made orders with numbers from 262-357 and simply haven't awarded them?

If you find photos of orders with higher numbers could you please share them with us?
    Orders were made in higher quantities and then kept "on stock". 
    During the war certain amounts of decorations were being sent on different sides and they were being awarded on various levels, the procedure wasn't "centralized". That's one of the reasons why the orders weren't being awarded in numerical order.

• 2 weeks later...