News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Medal of Recompense King Frederik VIII

Hi Gents, I got a German medal bar which contains a golden Royal Medal of 

Recompense King Frederik VIII.

DSCI0004.JPG

My question is, do there exist rolls with the names from German recipients?

My hope is, that it is possible to identify the former owner with the help from forum members.

Eyery help appreciated.

Kind regards
    Andreas

Edited by dedehansen

It is a gold medal without crown. 99 awards in 6 years. 

So the potential list is bot that long. But probably there were several German awardees, so without extra information it cannot be identified. Hpw does the reverse look like?

16 hours ago, larsb001 said:

Andreas, HUGE mistake, it's a Frederik VIII ;)

But check your message folder!

Regards, Lars

Hej and thanks for your advice, I´ve corrected my mistake, sorry for the confusion.

I´ll send you a message.

Kind regards from Rendsborg, after Kjöbenhavn next in size fortress i Kongeriget Danmark

Andreas

On 10.9.2016 at 02:38, Egorka said:

So the potential list is bot that long. But probably there were several German awardees, so without extra information it cannot be identified. Hpw does the reverse look like?

Hi Egorka, thanks for the information with the 99 awards.

If I had the names from the German awardees, I could crosscheck the

names with other german rolls from the medals on the bar.

The reverse of the medal bears a wreath of oak leaves, unfortunately

without an engraving of the recipients name.

Kind regards
    Andreas

On 10.9.2016 at 02:38, Egorka said:

Hej Egorka,

it seems that you have the rolls, could you please crosscheck the list?!

My research resulted in 23 German individuals including two persons

from the court of Hertugen af Cumberland.

Kind regards

Andreas

2 hours ago, dedehansen said:

Hej Egorka,

it seems that you have the rolls, could you please crosscheck the list?!
    My research resulted in 23 German individuals including two persons

from the court of Hertugen af Cumberland.

Kind regards

Andreas

Hello Andreas.

I don't have the rolls. I might have an idea where to look them up in the archive or library. But this may take some time and I am curently top busy at work. 

Edited by Egorka

In his book "En allerhøjeste Paaskønnelse", Lars Stevnsborg lists recipients 1865-1912. I believe the list was created by meticulously going through the official sources (royal decrees etc.) as no official list exist. So there may still be small inaccuracies in his list.

Like most court medals this medal was often part of the King's 'luggage' and to be handed out at his discretion to whomever he felt deserved it. So many times the award was not documented.

If you send me the list of potential German recipients, I can cross-check. That's easier for me than going through the list which is ordered chronologically.

/Michael

OK, OK. ;)

I understood that it was mainly Christian IX who was known to hand out these medals liberally without much paperwork. Or paperwork that was supposed to be done later, which often never happen properly. 

But the later Dansh monarchs introduced more order into this process. So I was hopping that the Frederik IIX pulled himself together and streamlined the process. :) Though I am afraid it actually happened much later.

So THAT is why I was thinking to be able to find the list in the "Kongelig Dansk Hof- og Statskalender".

Edited by Egorka

I think you're right that later they had more documentation (don't know exactly from when), so yes, I agree - it should have become part of the Statskalender at that point.

/Michael

These are the ones I can find that received the Gold medal in the period and with a direct mentioning of belonging to the court of the Duke of Cumberland:

- Riekenberg

- Augermann

Any of those names on your list?

/Michael

OK, I', not sure why my edit of my last post merged it with my previous post, but anyway...

Edited by Great Dane
    typo

Just one correction. This medal is not in god. I think I wad deceived by yellowish glow on the photo. 

It is a silver medal without crown. The list should be much longer than 99.

But in the Royal Calender, there are almost no foreign names (except one Norwegian) for 1906-1912 period. Just been to the library.

If you trust, that this group is not artifitially made, then an option could be, that this medal was given without suspension piece, i.e. without right to bear. But the owner ordered privatly the suspention to be added. I say so, brcause the Danish Royal Calender only mentions medals with bearing permission (in that period anyway). 

Maybe it is time you show us the whole group. Don't be shy! 

Edited by Egorka

2 hours ago, dedehansen said:

It is the bar from a german lackey, the photo was taken by daylight,

and definite not silver.

Kind regards
    Andreas

If you are sure it is gold, then it must be 8 carat model. The Frederik IIX gold medal wad struk in 24 carat gold in 1906-1909. And 1909 to 1912 in 8 carat. The later must see whiter. I think yours is 8 carat then. 

About the recipient list, let's see what Michael has to say. 

Actually, when I first looked at the photo in post #1 it looked like silver gilt to me, but I blamed it on the lighting, because it definitely shouldn't be.

As Egorka says, it was struck in 8 and 23 (not 24) karat solid gold.

I can verify from personal experience that both types look the same to the naked eye (same deep yellow golden color). The only difference is the weight, with the 8K version weighing about half of the 23K version.

The ONLY specimens of this medal in silver gilt are the copies. If the medal on the bar is silver gilt, we can't rule out that someone swapped it with a copy at some point in its life.

This is the 23K version with crown (and as I mentioned, the 8K version looks the same):

FrVIII.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Egorka, I suppose that you´re wrong, you are looking for this medal: Fortjenstmedaljen

http://www.omsd.dk/RibbonGuide/da/Ribbons1_da.aspx

I´m looking for this one: Den kgl. Belønningsmedalje, BM1

http://www.omsd.dk/RibbonGuide/da/Ribbons1_da.aspx

But I think with the friendly help from this forum and a Dutch medal collector we

have found the former recipient, it should be Traugott Thomel kgl. preussisk portier i Berlin.

But I have further homework to do, until now five from nine medals could be

assigned to him.

Thanks a lot 
    Andreas

Yes Egorka, Andreas is right. This is the list of "Fortjenstmedaljen" ("Medal of Merit").

The "Royal Medal of Recompense" ("Belønningsmedaljen") were never listed and not only that - it will not appear in the list of abbreviations appended after a name.

Andreas, I believe you're on the right track. I was a bit thrown off by the alleged link to the Duke of Cumberland.

/Michael