News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Joachim Von Ribbentrop Handwritten Article-1936?

Hi

I wondered if anyone could help me at all.  

I have age recently acquired what appears to be a handwritten article/essay, in English, by Joachim Von Ribbentrop, regarding Germany from 1918 to the year of the article (1936).  

It makes for a very interesting read & relates to the injustices of the Treaty of Versailles on Germany, the threat of Bolshevism & the right of Germany to be given their colonies back.

It has been signed 'Von Ribbentrop' on the top right. 
    After some research, I am more than certain the document is original.
    1).  The article contents are the same as Von Ribbentrop's, especially the right of Germany to have colonies.
    2).  The grammar & spelling is poor, as Von Ribbentrop's supposedly was.
    3).  The signature seems to be the same as other I have seen.

I just wondered if anyone has come across a similar article of Von Ribbentrop's at all?  Or perhaps is aware of the existence of such article?

Perhaps it was a first draft by Ribbentrop for a letter, newspaper article or speech?

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Many thanks

image.jpg

Edited by hucks216

I have my doubts I have to say. Who is it meant for (the reason it is in English)? Would a dignitary really be writing an essay on a scrappy piece of paper and if it was just a rough draft etc then why sign it (and why sign it on the upper right)?

And while this one is just a gut feeling I agree with BalkanCollector, the paper looks more 1950-1960's rather than 1930's. And the use of the word 'Planes' and 'Planemotors' doesn't sit right for some reason (on the extra image you posted on a different forum) but I have no idea of the history of that word or whether it is an Americanism or not so that is also a gut feeling.

And finally that signature at the top right does not match that of Joachim von Ribbentropp. 

This is a 1938 dated example taken from an official document

jvr.jpg

And taken from the Charles Hamilton book on Third Reich signatures this shows two examples (the lower dated 1935). None of them match the one in the first post.

ribbentropp 001.jpg

And neither does it match the three examples in the Huesken's book on Third Reich Leadership signatures.

In relation to the words 'plane' & 'plane motors', this could be simply a mistranslation by him, from German into English (he was known to have poor writing skills). Perhaps he was meaning an aeroplane, but in his translation it came out as plane motors.

To be honest I am not certain what the document is.  It isn't addressed to anyone & isn't laid out in a letter format.  Thus I am not sure he would even write his actual signature on it?  Rather he would simply write his name.

I don't know why it is written on two pieces of rough paper, that is what's puzzling me as well.  Being a high official, you would have thought he would have written on 'official' paper.  

But on the other hand, people do write drafts or notes etc on rough paper to start.  But then, why write 'Von Ribbentrop' on the top right?  The only time I have seen names written on the top right is on essays & drafts.

So many questions!! It's a minefield really.  

Thanks for your help again though.