News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Possible Chaplain item?

Guys,

I don't know much about religion, This is from the week end the materials are of the period I am fairly certian but it may not be German? There were a lot of other fancy ones these came out of the skip so I am not sure, any thoughts, possible Bund?

CIMG0230.JPG

CIMG0231.JPG

CIMG0232.JPG

Edited by Jock Auld

The piece showed is a for me roman catholic , a estola i dont know the english name , is the minimum of eclesiastic garment that a priest must use durin the exercise of his functions so was and is normally used with the uniform in the case of chaplains The colour and ornament are variables depending the colour of the lithurgic calendary the holy cross is the imprescindible ornament German chaplains inclusive during ww2 used the estola , the anglican chaplains used the estola too . of the lutherans i am unable to state nothing but i believe that they not use a estola  Cheers 

Odulf,

There were a load of more fancy ones all gold embroidered colourful etc.  The base colour is olive green material of the rayon type used in late war jacket linings.  The red front with basic cross is very simple compared to the others, I wish I had taken them now!  In contrast this is somewhat boring!

I was also thinking could be post war Bund or the likes?

I am afraid I have little knowledge of religion as previously stated and will no doubt be going to hell.

Bayern,

Would you think it is for military use in this basic design?

Cheers

Rich

I went through the Slicht & Angolia books, to see what they wrote about this matter. Only in the Kriegsmarine volume (in German language) on page 378 it says that the stola (which is the official name for this item) is of blue silk with flower design and a red reverse; the ends have blue fringes of silk with knots of bullion. Near the end a swastika on it's point in gold bullion.

In the volumes for Army and Air Force there is no mention of a stola. But if there was a kind of "official" pattern for the Navy it is thinkable that patterns for the Army also existed - but note the swastika!

To my idea it is wishful thinking that your stola was an official Army type. To my knowledge, however, Catholic Chaplains with a temporary commission could bring their own kit. Like the British Chaplains they would have had a little suitcase containing the cups, candlestick holders etc. What puzzles me in the description of Slicht & Angolia, is that they only mention a blue stola for the Navy, because, as Bayern points out, there were various stolas to be used according to the liturgic calendar, and blue is not one of the colors in this calendar (the official liturgic colors through the year and for special masses are: white, red, green, purple, black, pink).

To Jock Auld : I think  it is perhaps a personal one of a temporary chaplain the red colour is for use in a mass conmemorating a martyr , per case , purple mourning ,etc  The Luftwaffe dont have chaplains Goring dont allowed chaplains in his nazi air force .but not forbade the practice of religion . said me something more about the materials of wich the stola is make . Cheers 

Bayern,

It is rayon at the reverse for sure, the red also has a bit of a sheen to it too the white is cotton probably.  Here are som more pics best I can do,  Although basic in design it has been 'complexley' engineered as per Germans habit!  Note the multi piece construction of the red at the base.

CIMG0235.JPG

CIMG0234.JPG

A couple more

CIMG0236.JPG

CIMG0237.JPG

Jock Auld You have right , the complex engineering is german trademark owed to the ever short supply of material in both wars . once i saw a photo of a german flyer of ww1 wearing a pair of riding boots of normal style but confectioned with multiple pieces of leather . Bayern 

In my collection i have this very interesting photo of an Obergefreiter (Lance-Corporal) obviously conducting a funeral and wearing a clerical "stola" as he should when conducting an official rite. Note the very plain style of the Stola, it is straight and with fringes, prpbably his own. Many professed clerics served as conscripts in the German Forces. Generally they were employed as Sanitäter (stretcher bearers) or in other non-combattant rôles. To illustrate, I also add some German death-cards from my collection (all Gebirgsjäger / Mountain Troops). When official Chaplains were not available, it is thinkable that professed clerics could also conduct the Holy Rites and funerals.

img921.jpg

img922.jpg

img923.jpg

img924.jpg

img920 x.jpg

Edited by Odulf