News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with document, imperial air service

Hello Dante.

The Kriegsstammrolle shown here, contains a soldiers complete history while under arms and is in a very detailed set-up. Unfortunately I am unable to enlarge the pages however he served in a Schlachtfluzeugstaffel ( close-support unit) and continued after the cease-fire to serve in the eastern portion of then Germany in the protection of the border region.

It certainly seems like a very interesting document. Thank you for showing it.

Bernhard H. Holst

Grenzschutz-Flieger-Abteilung 409 was a Freikorps air unit that served in Upper Silesia from December 1918 until September 1919 when all air force units were disbanded and planes were ordered destroyed under the Versailles treaty. All German Freikorps air units were designated as a Flieger Abteilung with a '400' number. They numbered FA400 - FA433. Each Flieger Abteilung had 3 squadrons of 6 planes each with 2 additional planes held in reserve (i.e. totalling 20 planes per Abteilung).

It states he was first in Freikorps Flieger Abteilung Schlesien on April 5, 1919 which later became Grenzschutz FA 409 and in June 5, 1919 was posted to Kommando Flieger 21, Ober Kommando Nord (basically: Fighter Command 21, which was equivalent to an air wing at the Northern Headquarters In Jüterbog, NE Germany).

It would be a help if you could scan some close-ups of the document to see more details.

3 hours ago, dante said:

Thanks guys will do so asap 

By the way, he seems to have served in air units from the beginning and fought on both the Eastern and Western fronts during the war and got the EK I and II, silver wound badge and then the Silesian Eagle I and II for serving in Silesia in the Freikorps. So far this is a pretty outstanding document, IMO.

Edited by bolewts58

• 2 weeks later...

The soldier was a Gefreiter in the Schlachtfliegerstaffel 201.

He entered the air force in 1914 at the Flieger-Abteilung 5. Later he served as an observer with the Jagdstaffel 30 commanded by flying ace 1st Lieutnant Hans Bethge (20 aerial victories).

There he got both classes of the Iron Cross as Gefreiter!

After the end of the war 1918 he entered the Aviator Freikorps (Grenzschutz-Flieger-Abteilung 409) then fighting in Upper Silesia and received both classes of the Silesian Eagle.

Question, what awards for flying would he have? any other info as ever gratefully received 

frei1_001.jpg

Edited by dante