News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sword artilleria fabrica de toledo 1895

richard777

• 4 weeks later...

Spanish Cavalryman with M1895.png

G'day,

Finally got around to reading all the different sites.  The guard looks like an 1880 Spanish Cavalry Sword and government issue by the maker's mark. 1895 indicates a very late production or a preference over the newer 1895 Spanish Cavalry Sword that had a very innovative hand-grip that was much more hand form-fitting.  The guard, however, looks far more like a guard from an 1895! Officer with 1895 pictured above.

I posted on my private purchase 1895 Cavalry Sword previously.

Hope this helps.

Second sentence should read "The SWORD looks like . . ." To counter this, the blade looks flat and that is much more typical of the 1895 issue cavalry sword. Maybe the owner didn't like the new hand grip? 

See attachment. 

Evolution of 1860 (A), 1880 (B), 1895 (C) & 1907 (D) patterns

Spanish Cavalry Swords.jpg

Edited by aussiesoldier
    Added commentary

• 3 years later...

Update on the Spanish 1895. 

Recent research reveals the existence of official OFFICER variations.   

This is a ‘Thomas Modelo’ 1895 Mounted Troops Sabre. These private purchase sabres were purchased by officers serving in mounted troop corps such as transport, engineers, etc. This sabre was ordered by an Artillery Corps officer, probably upon graduation in 1897. (See artillery corps emblem on guard, initials of the officer and the official cypher of Spain.)

There were also versions designed for cavalry and infantry officers, very similar but smaller and with two screws in the grip (Robert Modelo). The order was intended to unify the sword model to be used by mounted troops of all Corps. Gunnery officer, José Robert is cited as designer of the so-called, "Robert Modelo".  Between the adoption of the model of 1895, and the declaration of the authorised "Robert Modelo" in 1905, swords were produced at the Toledo Factory as Officer's sabres for the Infantry, Carabinieri, Artillery, Engineers Corps and The Civil Guard. 

Interesting info that places my 1897 Artillery Corps sword as an unofficial but permitted Robert Model.