News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My latest neck order

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Paul, the ribbon in my opinion is original, it's sewn on the reverse in such a way which doesn't allow me to remove and straighten it if I wanted to, so it stays like that, adds character I suppose, I have an EK2 1870 ,(Been there look) with a tatty ribbon, I tried it with a newer ribbon and it didn't quite look right so it sits with it's original tatty one again, replace? sometimes yes, sometimes no

(Apologies to Stuka f don't mean to hijack your thread)

Alex,

Never replace original ribbons unless they have completely disintegrated. even in that case Keep the original ribbon in an envelope with the re-ribboned piece. I have seen beautiful groups with faded but lovely original ribbons and the  owner has removed them and thrown them away and re-ribboned them with gaudy brand new ribbon. There is a particularly unpleasant corner in Hell for people who do that.

Paul

7 hours ago, paul wood said:

There is a particularly unpleasant corner in Hell for people who do that.

I am good in that case! :beer:

I got myself a replamcement ribbon, but never used it, it is just laying next to the original fragile one.

And the Commemorative Medal of the 1914–1917 African Campaigns is displayed without a ribbon.

brieven cites 006.JPG

brieven cites 010.JPG

Hi Paul, I don't throw old ribbons away, there is a thread in the Preservation/conservation thread where I actually state that is exactly what I do, carefully store and label tatty ribbons for future reference or if I sell the item, the original ribbon goes with the medal also, so the buyer has the choice, attached a few medals with original ribbons if there when I obtained the piece and their condition. (One Sava came without any ribbon)

regards

Alex

bav.JPG

bav2.JPG

ek.JPG

sava.JPG

Hi Kris, thanks for the link, a real shame about the damage, it looks like a really nice piece, and for 25 euros, a bargain, I asked so as to compare with mine, I assume yours has no markings to identify any possible makers, mine doesn't, is it highly vaulted? (The ribbons, to the best of my knowledge are original!)

regards

Alex

combined3 postcopy.JPG

combined3a postcopy.JPG

meritconvex.JPG

Edited by Alex K

Hi Alex,

nice samples of the Hugarian Order of Merit. You may know that when this order was established in 1922, it was originally called Hungarian Cross of Merit. In 1935 the name was changed into Hungarian Order of Merit and then also some subtle changes were made in the design.The green enamelled wreath of the Cross of Merit is a little more detailed three dimensional and the three mountains under the crown and double cross have a pebbled finish. The mountains of the Order after 1935 have fine diagonal lines. On the Cross of Merit the central red enamel disk is more convex, and has either a plain or pebbled finish under the green enamel that runs along the edges of the cross. With the Order of Merit under the green enamel a laddered design can be seen. The reverse remained the same for both versions. I have this information from an excellent article by Peter Czink on the history of the Hungarian Cross and Order of Merit, published in November 1999 in the Magyar Front.

regards,Pieter

Alex and Stuka,

I don't think there are any maker's marks on the pieces. Peter Czink doesn't mention any manufacturers of either the Cross or Order of Merit, and as far as I know the cases have also no maker's mark inside the lid. I have a set of the Cross of Merit, in case, and without any marks.

Pieter

Hi Pieter thanks, useful information about the 1935 changes, so makers remain a mystery, would they likely be Hungarian made or like many others, sourced from Austria, France etc?

Alex

Edited by Alex K