News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Indian Princely States - Idar State Georve V Jubilee Medal?

James Hoard

I have been sent the following image of an Indian medal bar by the grandson of the recipient, a former Captain in the Idar State Forces who served in WWII and later Honorary Commandant of the Home Guard in the state of Gujarat.

M Umeg Singh medals 2.jpg

The last medal in the group is what interests me.

Unfortunately, I do not yet have his permission to publish larger images of it but close-up analysis seems to show the medal, mounted for wear, with a distinctive ribbon and an "Idar State" clasp, but otherwise identical to the George V Jubilee Medal 1910-1935 illustrated in this article - http://www.thamesweb.co.uk/windsor/memorials/geov_medal.html

Can anybody shed more light on this state award, if that is what it is?

Cheers.

Most interesting.

My suspicion is it an adapted British piece for use by the top brass in Idar. Certainly not seen another but I have encountered weird and wonderful adaptations in the world of the Princely states. The shame is that you can't get a better image of the piece.

Paul

I do have some other pictures Paul, I am just waiting for the grandson's permission to publish them. They are not ideal, because the ribbons are tightly stitched to one another, but he has turned it over sideways and photographed the medal obverse and reverse at 90 degrees.

The picclick website does have another of these medals, but the suspension is quite different from the Idar version and without ribbon or any other clues I do not know who the issuing authority was.

http://picclick.co.uk/GB-1935-Silver-Jubilee-King-George-V-142070533218.html

GB-1935-Silver-Jubilee-King-George-V.jpg

GB-1935-Silver-Jubilee-King-George-V-_57

Interestingly he has the official silver Jubilee medal as well and is bound to be on the roll for India (I have it if you would like me to check up). The Idar piece is a totally unofficial locally made piece but lovely all the same. Let's put it this way I would kill for a group like that.

Paul

One offs, manufactured by State jewellers were probably far from rare originally but given the exifgencies of time and distance now rank with hen's teeth!  Some of the State regalia and awards are truly lovely and, sadly, some are of the order of 'Make it like this [official award] but shinier!'  

Let's hope we get to see more closeups.  I would say, that the bar is clearly hand engraved, which is to be expected.  Haven't checked but I don't believe the original had bars as such, as the awrd itself was a single issue and pretty well self explanatory and self contained.  Nice touch though!