News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Spanish officers 1917

The Prussian

Hello!

Here I have a photo of a saxon general and several spanish officers.

Does someone know the name of the german general and/or the spanish officers?

Can someone explain the spanish cap and collar badges please?

Thanks a lot in advance!

General (spanische Offiziere).jpg

Scannen0001 - Kopie (2).jpg

Scannen0001 - Kopie (3).jpg

Scannen0001 - Kopie (4).jpg

Scannen0001 - Kopie (5).jpg

Scannen0001 - Kopie.jpg

Got it!

Infantry, General staff, Artillerie, Engeneer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coats_of_arms,_badges_and_emblems_of_Spanish_Armed_Forces

The officer of the general staff is a colonel, the artillerist is a lieutenant-colonel and the engeneer is a subaltern officer.

Subaltern officers had six-pointed stars, staff officers eight-pointed stars

mw79tt.jpg

Edited by The Prussian

• 1 month later...

Hello Boris!

Thank you very much for those useful informations. The spanish army of the ww1 is one of the armies, that I don´t know a lot...

I didn´t know the history of the Schutztruppe clothes!

One thing... You wrote, in 1917, parts of the spanish army stood on the western front. We were not in war with Spain. Do you have more details? I don´t suppose, they fought...

You alos wrote, a spanish colonel was a god. Maybe it´s possible to identify the officers on my photo?

Hello : The spanish Army officers of WWI era were germanophiles or pro Allies , perhaps the majority the first option . in second place ,Spain motorized their heavy artillery before ww1 . third ,i dont believe that german colonial troops used the rayadillo colonial uniform , the kordwaffenrock was grey in colour uniform not striped as the spanish rayadillo .finally the spanish Army of ww1 era was something very singular . plentiful of generals and officers but with units very scarse of ncos and soldiers . because of the meagre budgets .the constant bloodshed in Morocco was another handicap for an otherwise brave army .identify the officers as The Prussian asks is rather impossible but with a bit of luck . someone could find what Mision militar was for what went to Germany and who were. 

Hello Boris : Insisting with the rayadillo , the drawing showed is i believe a representation of the cord cloth or corduroy,which characterizes for having alternated lines of groove and thread . respect to the motorized artillery somewhere in the web exists a video about the theme i will procure to find it again and send you the link saludos Bayern 

Hello Boris!

Thank you for the new infos!

Yes, I know a little bit about the catalan history, when I used to be there with the lorry. I drove 15 years Germany-Spain as "camionero".

You mean, the catalan volunteers were in the front line in nothern france?

Hello Boris : I found the video ,exists in you tube and is spanish ! title :Historia los clarines de la caballeria part2 ,Around the 8th minute appears a parade of heavy artillery the speaker saids. The motorisation of the artillery begins in 1912.the video shows what looks for me as Austro Daimler artillery tractors hauling each three de Bange or similar 120 mm guns . the whole video is interesting , equally the part 1. Officially the first heavy vehicles of spanish artillery were LATIL 4x4 tracteurs . arrived after wwI but the documentary shows clearly at least two pre war Daimlers .saludos Bayern 

Hello Boris!

Thanks for the links! Unfortunately my spanish is not good enough to read it. It works after a couple of Riojas...:D

Well, I still look for a book about the french foreign legion especially in the WW1. Hard to find...

Here is a site which gives some infos:

http://www.chtimiste.com/

To Boris : Its all OK , History is sometimes a puzzle with not all the pieces at hand ,i think that the forums are useful in promote the discussion and contribution . To The Prussian : The swiss poet and writer Blaise Cendrars voluntereed in the french army at the beginnig of WW1 . after the war wrote a book about his experiences titled La main coupee , The cutted hand . in the book says that all the foreign volunteers served into the Foreign legion .initially in the Regiment de Marche with the number 3 until the regiment was visited by Gral de Castelnau who declared :¿ what foolish is this ? pointing the number late said I only recognize two Regiments de la Legion , finally ordered the colonel to discard the numbers . The spanish volunteers catalonians or not might served in the Legion ¿how many ? Good question , the original Legion remained in Africa ; the 1 st and 2nd regiments provided four half batallions . these were the core of four regiments de marche each with 3000 men . 51 nationalities were present the most numerous the italians a whole regiment .32000 men voluntereed between August 1914 and 1915 . The heavy losses resulted in the disolution of the four regiments and the creation of one Le Regiment de Marche de la Legion with about 3100 men . after the war it was designed le 3me Regiment etrangere .

Boris : I speak spanish , i am argentine , my father was german , my grandfather comes to Argentina in 1925 to teach physicat a university located in the northwestern Province of Tucuman .my father was born in Essen when my grandpa worked there for Krupp. my mother is argentine,with spanish heritage remonted to the colonial times . I was educated in spanish but also learned english , german and french later i adquired italian ..

Boris : Chile , is our brother - enemy . but i know and love these country. The Prussian: My father was born in Essen Rutenscheid . but my Opa and Oma both were bavarians . as curiosity , in accordance with the law ruling in 1924 in Prussia my father was registered as prussian . musspreussen . saludos grusse 

Hello!

Thanks a lot for the links! They are very useful!!!

Maybe I can learn  more about the spanish army!

Stil open is the question about the german general. According to the cockades I assume  he is saxon.

I´ve been told, it could be:

http://prussianmachine.com/aka/ehrenthal.htm

Edited by The Prussian

Boris : The british historian of the Spanish Civil War ,Hugh Thomas ; said that the Agreement of Vergara at the end of the Carlist War provoked the beginning of the excessive number of officers in the spanish army . possible but the Cuban rebellion and the moroccan skirmishes blooded the officers corp one and another time . for not mention the war with USA In Cuba and Filipinas and between 1909 and 1925 the nightmare of Morocco . I prefere to think : first : the spanish man was for centuries warrior .. second : the military career was and is a possibility for social advance not only in Spain , was also a window to other way of life more adventurous for many youngs with scarse money . saludos Bayern 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Boris : Really a sort of curse a maldicion in spanish, appears to pend over the destiny of Spain along the centuries .every temptative of modernisation was failed it not failed alone , personally my point of view is that Spain after the Indenpendence War began to be a sort of british dominion , perhapas not political but certainly economical .a strong Spain does not accomodate with the british interests ,and remember , England was the arch enemy of Spain . of the spanish Empire , England profited of the forced alliance of the Borbons with Napoleon for make the war , sublevate the american colonies and destroy the great spanish fleet at Trafalgar .Later envoyed british troops to the Peninsula to help the restoration of the infamous Fernando vII and never really England alighted her grip over Spain .In regard to National vs Mercenary Armies : in Argentina the National Army served well during nearly a century ,but is a large theme . Cheers, Bayern 

Dear Boris : I went too far , i believe, the forum is not for political history , Respect of Spain and her fate ,still i think the views expresed , respect of her empire and the indenpendentist movements , I am an argentine born , here educated and well ,specially in our history . I can assure the british influence and interest in the Independence . well ,the spanish decadence is a bad thing , but dont trust so much in europe for France a independet Catalonia is not a bad idea ; for Great Britain the same. You must think too about Morocco perpetually disputing the fishing areas and claiming the devolution sic of Ceuta and Melilla .last but not least GB not for a while thinks of the devolution of Gibraltar . Cheers