News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello,

Any chance of more pics? And what's the date on the liner and shell?

I've recently started buying MKII helmets and have come across so many fake and post 1945 paint jobs that it's sort of put me off, it's getting so that you really have to know what you're looking for. At the moment I have 3 army, a few civil defence, a MKI* and one Canadian.

Tony

2016-10-09_09_59_49.jpg

2016-10-09_10_00_38.jpg

Here's a couple more photos. I'll add some more in a little while 

The liner is 42, but the rim is so worn that it's hard to make out the date and maker mark.... might have to try rubbing flour or chalk on it to see it there's anything readable 

I think its canadian as well.... here's another photo showing some repairs to the paint. Don't know if this was done during war time or post war and it doesn't bother me to know. I think it's a cool feature on this helmet 

2016-10-09_10_03_14.jpg

6 hours ago, mike y said:

I think its canadian as well.... here's another photo showing some repairs to the paint. Don't know if this was done during war time or post war and it doesn't bother me to know. I think it's a cool feature on this helmet

It obviously wasn't done last week and it's all part of its history, so wouldn't bother me either.

So one more thing about this helmet. It came with this rather beat up strap and I was told that it was a post war strap. That being said I decided to replace it with a known wartime example.... now I'm having second thoughts about this decision.... I'm thinking that this could possibly now be an early war example. Thoughts?

20161015_141901.jpg

20161015_141911.jpg

I was able to see the makers mark. CL/C and the date 42. You can see the 2 in the bottom portion of the ruts at the top right corner and it extends down into the paint. Since all examples  (known) have that have this "early" strap are dated 1940, would this have been a strap that was indeed added post war?

2016-10-15_14_50_19.jpg

So after a little discussion with a very knowledgeable fellow collector, I have decided to keep the strap that is on this helmet on... and display the strap that came with it  in its own Riker case ( it is very fragile) that way I can keep this enigma with the helmet that it came with,  but still display it with a known wartime example 

13 hours ago, mike y said:

So one more thing about this helmet. It came with this rather beat up strap and I was told that it was a post war strap. That being said I decided to replace it with a known wartime example.... now I'm having second thoughts about this decision.... I'm thinking that this could possibly now be an early war example. Thoughts?

I was hoping Jerry might see this as he knows his stuff when it comes to Commonwealth militaria.