News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Arctic Star

I honestly don't know how much it is worth.  They are obviously worth quite a lot to the veterans of the conflict that asked for their issuance for nearly 70 years until they were finally issued in early 2013.  

I believe it was the intention to award the Arctic Star to the approximately 400 remaining living veterans (in 2013) and to others posthumously.

I have not seen one for sale, but if the other WWII stars are any indication...around $50.  Maybe more because it is a "newer" medal to the collecting community.  Maybe less because it came out in 2013 and are not (yet) engraved to the recipient.

Hi Claudius is right, the value of attributable pieces with known provenance will depend on many factors, person, action etc, lone unattributable examples, not a great deal, less than many may realise it seems, attached is a link which many give you a dealer perspective.

http://www.hillmilitarymedals.co.uk/british-military-medals/

regards

Alex K

Edited by Alex K

Sounds as if we're talking a rather small total of authorized issues but, as Alex says, provenance will be key here and an unnamed issue or one with a spurious or incomplete pedigree will bring far less than one verifiably issued to a verteran of the Arctic convoys.

I'm old enough to remember when the first Falklands conflict GSMs appeared in toronto, Canada, the two I sawe complete with hand written notes suggesting they'd been bought in a pub in Liverpool the day the QE2 docked there with a load of Royal Marines aboard.  I take no position on how likely that was to be true, but I do know tat the Mint quite quickly started stamping '"replacement" on the re-issued medlas, as so many were being 'lost' by serving soldiers.  I also seem to recall that a number were lost by one of the Guards battalions on Buck House duty, as the suspenders weren't up to the repeated stamping and clashing produced by such use.  

So, a question with no simple answer!