News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

11th U-boat Flotilla (11. Unterseebootsflottille)

Hi folks,

I have a question about an U-boot flotilla artefact I've recently bought on Ebay on sheer impulse. Something tells me it is authentic but I'm not 100% sure. Can you tell me if this is authentic? The odd thing about it is that the polar bear standing on the u-boat is facing eastward, while the original flotilla emblem has him facing the other way around. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11th_U-boat_Flotilla  The guy I got it from is residing in France and he told me he obtained it back in 2004 at some military antiques sale in Hamburg, Germany. Dimensions : H 21 cm - L 14,5 cm

Thanks

flotilla.png

flotillaback.png

Edited by IJSBEER

Very neat enamel pin you got there, Dede. It has me thinking for it shows two different hues of blue color and not the red on white used in the fake mützen abzeichen sold on the internet: https://www.google.nl/search?q=11th+flotilla&biw=1182&bih=583&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjsjOK3-fHPAhWlCsAKHSZbCNEQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=4sNoGs1zyEWO7M%3 . Could it be a coincidence that both my plague and your enamel pin use the same colors?

If you ever grow tired of collecting U-boot paraphernalia please let me know and I'll be more than happy to buy it from you.

Thank you for your constructive reply.

I found the U-boot with the polar bear facing the other way around, it's the U-591. 591.jpg

If you happen to have a picture of this submarine with the specific conning tower emblem could you please post it here? Thank you.

Then again, there were two more U-boats having shown the same "Turm-Maling": U-354 and U-606.

Is there an old real depiction available of the 11th U-boat Flotilla shield in color? Why is it always displayed red and white? Was it really?

u-354.jpg

U-606.jpg

• 2 years later...

I was able to purchase this badge as of recently, which I think is authentic. It no longer has the "safety pin" on the flip side. Do sport your 11. U-Flottille collection!!

20181223_142454_resized.jpg

What I have learned so far is that the "shadow" on the u-boat is always opposite to the polar bear's face. And I have seen Red/Blue logo versions of both the 1. U-Flottille as well as the 11. U-Flottille.