News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Snoopy (Peanuts comic) goes anti-Vietnam war

IJSBEER

I wondered if anyone could tell me more about the brass plate comic strip as depicted below, since I couldn't find another copy of it, or more info about it. There are no serial numbers or whatsoever mentioned on it, but perhaps it's merely an inside joke of the cavalry in Vietnam during them days. The guy I got it from said it was perhaps an anti Vietnam War statement of its days - if so why can I not find a single copy of it elsewhere? It's an almost exact copy of an original 60's Charles Schulz Peanuts comic as shown below but rendered with "vulgaire language". Since the original comic, though, probably was intended an anti-war statement in the first place it only emphasized on it. But I am not sure. Does someone here recognize this brass plate from his own past? Please tell me more about it.

And does the abbreviation "I.O.", in relation to a Huey Slick helicopter, stand for "Infantry Officer"?

Much obliged in advance

snoopy.jpg

peanuts.gif

snoopy2.png

Edited by IJSBEER

A very interesting piece.  I know very little about printing but I assume this is a plate intended to be inked and then used to print copies of the cartoon, presumably created by a fairly skilled etcher who copied the original cartoon.  Not sure about 'I.O.' but probably not 'Infantry Officer'.  Can't find it listed in glossries of 'Nam era slang.

Peter, thank you so much for your reply. That printing possibility did cross my mind too but need not the printing plate be mirrored? It's a strange object specially because it's very well done and it seems unique so far. The "infantry officer" part I guessed at because there were "Infrantry Officers" in Vietnam but it may as well mean something entirely different, I agree. 

Cheers

Edited by IJSBEER